L20b running around 210

Topher88

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have a new 180 get it in there. This will at least eliminate the thermostat as the cause of the high readings. Have to as how do you know it's at exactly 210F as the factory gauges don't say. If aftermarket gauge and sender, can you trust it?

Causes of running hot:

Slipping clutch fan

Rad blockage poor circulation

Rad plugged by leaves, dirt, plastic bag.

Loose belt

Retarded ignition

Low water

Lack of fan shroud

Lean carb mixture

If ever you suspect the thermostat, throw it away, they are cheap! Not worth the time and bother to check. (though you can) You have to replace the gasket anyway so why not the thermostat at the same time? If there isn't a 'jiggle valve' on the new one drill a 1/16" hole in it beside the spring. This will allow any bubbles out. Most don't have this and they work just fine.

You have a new one so replace it!

I also live in so cal,when it gets warm out 85-90 + degrees my motor runs up around 200' when im in stop and go traffic.I put in a 160' thermostat to see if that would help,it doesnt.As long as im moving it runs nice and cool.Im considering an electric fan to see if that helps.

I just installed my new thermostat and at the first point it reached 200ish it dropped right down to about 180. At first i thought sweet! i fixed it. but then the second time it hit 200 it kept going to 215ish and didnt drop. my question is as you can see in the pics the hose kind of goes up hill in the middle and do you think that a bubble could be stuck in there not allowing the coolent to get in the engine? i didnt have my Electric fan hooked up at the time but i still think sitting there it shouldent get in the much above 200.

IMG_2696.jpg

IMG_2695.jpg

IMG_2694.jpg

I just installed my new thermostat and at the first point it reached 200ish it dropped right down to about 180. At first i thought sweet! i fixed it. but then the second time it hit 200 it kept going to 215ish and didnt drop. my question is as you can see in the pics the hose kind of goes up hill in the middle and do you think that a bubble could be stuck in there not allowing the coolent to get in the engine? i didnt have my Electric fan hooked up at the time but i still think sitting there it shouldent get in the much above 200.

Coolant flows out that tube and will just push any bubbles ahead of it.

Still have to ask about the numbers. Can you trust your gauge? Is it after market?

Electric fan off???? Can I assume you don't have a mechanical fan run by the motor???

Here's how to get rid of a potential bubble. Drive it to fully warm. Let it cool down. Top it up. Check it the next few days. You are done.

210 degrees is a fairly normal temperature. Why does it bother you? In a warm place, you should run the cooling system hotter, so that the temperature difference between the air and the radiator is large enough to work effectively.