My sweet new Datsun 610

i've been following the progress of this car since the second owner bought it from the original owner and paid a lot of money to have it restored

the second owner worked for ndi (nissan design institute) in san diego. he drove the car around for a year or so then parked it and forgot about it

he decided to put it on fleebay, and it fetched only a small fraction of what he had into it

the third owner was the guy who changed the tail lights and the bumpers, (the car originally had 5mph crash bumpers), and it was during this time that the motor blew up

the third owner believed the car was cursed and put it up for sale on fleabay, and, once again, it fetched a good deal less than he had into it

glad to see it's gettin' some love :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jaimesix

Hey dude.:)

Any progress??? Any new pictures?? I have your car's twin brother. I will post some new pictures soon. On Tuesday, mine goes in for a facelift....due paintjob.

Jaime._________________________________________________________

The car now has a few extras like the OEM spec three panel light conversion professionally done, with blue face gauges, OEM front and rear bumper conversion to earlier style(much cleaner), earlier style pre-73 front fenders, and 1976 JDM Work Equip Wheels, very clean and shiny. No Rash. Heres a couple more pics.

pict0295iz8.th.jpg

pict0296cv2.th.jpg

pict0297br8.th.jpg

pict0299vr9.th.jpg

pict0300tz3.th.jpg

Guest jaimesix

I saw that orange 610 at 2006 JCCS ( Japanese Classic Car Show @ Long Beach, CA ) and also at a smaller Datsun show up in Torrance, CA in January 07. ( I have some pixes, will look for them.)

You are right about the last owner. I met him, he is a cool guy. Somehow he got frustrated when the engine blew up and sold it. He did not get frustrated with 610s ( or Datsuns for that matter.) just frustrated with that particular car. He got himself another 610, a yellow one which attended JCCS 07. ( yellow with black primered front fenders.)

I am glad the Orange 610 fell in good hands.

To this new owner, let me know if I can help you in any way with your 610. I have a buddy of mine, who is a member here as well, that has a parts car ( body is rusted...but parts still available ).

Hope to see ya around.

Jaime._____________________________________________________

i've been following the progress of this car since the second owner bought it from the original owner and paid a lot of money to have it restored

the second owner worked for ndi (nissan design institute) in san diego. he drove the car around for a year or so then parked it and forgot about it

he decided to put it on fleebay, and it fetched only a small fraction of what he had into it

the third owner was the guy who changed the tail lights and the bumpers, (the car originally had 5mph crash bumpers), and it was during this time that the motor blew up

the third owner believed the car was cursed and put it up for sale on fleabay, and, once again, it fetched a good deal less than he had into it

glad to see it's gettin' some love :)

I saw that orange 610 at 2006 JCCS ( Japanese Classic Car Show @ Long Beach, CA ) and also at a smaller Datsun show up in Torrance, CA in January 07. ( I have some pixes, will look for them.)

You are right about the last owner. I met him, he is a cool guy. Somehow he got frustrated when the engine blew up and sold it. He did not get frustrated with 610s ( or Datsuns for that matter.) just frustrated with that particular car. He got himself another 610, a yellow one which attended JCCS 07. ( yellow with black primered front fenders.)

I am glad the Orange 610 fell in good hands.

To this new owner, let me know if I can help you in any way with your 610. I have a buddy of mine, who is a member here as well, that has a parts car ( body is rusted...but parts still available ).

Hope to see ya around.

Jaime._____________________________________________________

I wonder who would keep an old rusty 610 parts car around....hmmmm.....

Yes, you would be correct. If you need any parts, let jaimesix or myself know. I would be the buddy he's referring to.

• 2 weeks later...

Please lower this car!

Looks good other wise though.

The car now has a few extras like the OEM spec three panel light conversion professionally done, with blue face gauges, OEM front and rear bumper conversion to earlier style(much cleaner), earlier style pre-73 front fenders, and 1976 JDM Work Equip Wheels, very clean and shiny. No Rash. Heres a couple more pics.

pict0295iz8.th.jpg

pict0296cv2.th.jpg

pict0297br8.th.jpg

pict0299vr9.th.jpg

pict0300tz3.th.jpg

Where do you get the smaller, nicer bumpers? Like pre73' or japan? or 510?

thanks

Pete

Hey Pete, to answer your question....They are 610 bumpers from pre-1974. In 1974 the government enacted 5MPH bumper standards, in response, the poor old 610 got big ass ugly bumpers. Same trajedy happened to the VW beetle in 1974.

You cannot buy these bumpers new, your only chance is to find some from somebody parting out a PL610, and chances are, by the time you (or me) finds out about the part-out, they have already been spoken for.

I was very lucky to find (and buy) a 1973 610 parts car from craigslist some time ago, the bumpers were straight, just needed to be rechromed.

it was only a "few" years ago that you could find intact 610's in the boneyards with most parts still on them (except for the drivetrain)

few people needed anything else from them since few people owned them

if it came down to it, you could have small chrome 610 bumpers some shipped over from downunda, since 610's are still pretty abundant (and pretty cheap) there

and the ozzie 610's were deprived of the nixon era, 5mph, jaime-eats-his-tuna-melt-on-them bumpers

Guest jaimesix

I agree with the Oz connection. But somehow shipping fees have gone to the moon when talking about bumpers or grilles.

I was lucky enough to get a grille from 180B land { Aussies call the 610 "180B" or " one I ty bee" :cool:} and shipping by air cost only 80 bucks. Later on when I wanted to get bumpers.....murder prices!!!!

If you have a friend fly to Oz.....ask them to bring you a set in the plane.....no lager than a set of skies or a surfboard.....that would be the way.

Fedex USA wants like 600 bucks for a bumper.......it is ludicruos:eek:

Hunting for them in bone yards will get you a set. That is what happened in my case. I bought a rear bumper from a cool member here a while ago. Then I found ( not really me, but a friend of mine told me about it ) a 610 with bumpers in the yard!!!!

I sold the extra rear bumper to a friend.....parts are over there...just drop your fishing net and wait...wait...like old fashion fishing.:)

When that happens, we can invite Barabuda to have a few tuna snadwiches at the park while sitting confortably on those "Park Bench" style bumpers.:rolleyes:

Jaime._______________________________________________________

The '73 Bumpers are very highly desirable, in so much that everyone with a 610 wants them, and with good cause. Like jaimesix said, it is almost serious robbery to pay the fees associated with shipping them out of Australia. And the 180Bs are always being advertised for one part or another available on eBay.au. But they do make for good seating though, a gal on each arm...:D

Like Burabuda said, I too remember a full 610 being available at the junkyard sans the drivetrain, just begging to be plucked. I scored a lot of parts when I shouldn't have been in the yard to begin with (looked old for my age). It used to be the in-dash tach that matched your specific gauge set, or the ever elusive SSS grille or sport grille (like compression's) , but now the treasure hunt is for the bumpers. Until there is a way to get the bumpers in mass quantity, we all strive to find them.

And as compression had said: Lower that Car! There a small Geo Metros afraid of being near it for fear of getting caught in the wheelwells! But it does look really good, for sure.

I agree with the Oz connection. But somehow shipping fees have gone to the moon when talking about bumpers or grilles.

I was lucky enough to get a grille from 180B land { Aussies call the 610 "180B" or " one I ty bee" :cool:} and shipping by air cost only 80 bucks. Later on when I wanted to get bumpers.....murder prices!!!!

I tried to get some B310 bumpers from there last year. Problem is the bumpers were $100, the shipping was $330. :(

I tried to get some B310 bumpers from there last year. Problem is the bumpers were $100, the shipping was $330. :(

Theres a lot of that going around. I scored a $20AU bumper. Cost to Ship: $400US. I had to let it go, math doesnt work.