rack and pinion?

domn8tr

I pulled the motor on the 521 to do some upgrades (L20b, weber32/36, Ported A87, z24 oil pump, spray bar valve cover, volvo radiator, matchbox dizzy and dogleg 5-speed ) Now that it's running great I want to look at the running gear. I plan on a disk brake conversion, new kingpins and bushings. I'm wondering if anyone has done a rack and pinion swap ? I have a spare from my sons 200sx bits I was hoping would work rolleyes.gif.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just because it is rack and pinion does not mean it is better. Rack and pinion steering gears are used on cars mainly because they are cheaper to manufacture, because of less moving parts. You can adjust the free play out of a recirculating ball steering gear. Rack and pinion just wear out, and are replaced.

If you are doing the swap just to have "rack and pinion" steering, spend your money on something that is an improvement.

But if you are doing the swap to make clearance, for a bigger engine, that is a good reason to change it.

You might want to compare rear-steer vs front-steer racks. Pretty sure the 200sx is rear steer and the 521 front steer. In which case, unless you convert to RHD and flip the rack over, it's going to turn left when you steer right and vice versa. It would be a cool joke on someone, though :lol:

I've gathered up the pieces (and had a couple already) to install S-10 power steering box, and replace the stock deathshaft steering column. My alterior motive is the S-10's pittman arm is a direct fit to the Samurai tie rod end that'll attach to it. Building a 4x4 521 with parts that are easily accessible, and won't hang out the fenders like a bad hot wheels toy....

Racks cost half as much~ but wear out 3 X's faster. They do save on weight a bit tho...

I just got thinking about this as my son just flipped the crossmember and put a rack in his 510. Hes' on the way to putting in a SR20DET and shortened 280 struts. my truck is all over the road I'm sure some of it is the kingpins. When I got the truck the steering box was dry. I filled it with oil and adjusted the locking nut to where there was just the slightest of drag but think I need to check the shims blink.gif

When the stock steering is in good condition, they do drive good.

Have you done any measuring to see if you can get a rack that narrow? The trucks need a very narrow rack to work. About 19" measured at the inner tie rod pivots. Good luck with that. I have not found a power rack that narrow in a production car yet. Fiat made a narrow manual rack, but fiat parts are not really an option to me.

I have found aftermarket power racks that are that narrow though, they are fairly large and cost around $800.