What should I do?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not seeing much rot here. You're actually looking pretty good.

As to what to do, wire brush it and buy a can of this stuff.

http://nomorerust.com/silver.htm

My brother in law is a restorer of classic cars and swears by it. I've used it on my Dat and it coats AMAZING. This will stop the rust from going any further, it is sandable, dries hard as rock and you can even use a little fiberglass cloth (available at napa) coat it with this stuff and to repair little holes.

You don't even need to get off all the rust. Just the loose stuff.

And actually it is pretty much self leveling so brush strokes are not very apparent. I used a sponge brush myself.

This is a way better solution that using rattlecan primer which will hold moisture.

Then you can paint it when ever you get around to it.

But this stuff is so bad ass it will stick to your skin for a long, long time.

I should prolly do a post about this suff in the body section.

Fish pretty much nailed it. Clean it well & seal it.

It's oxygen and moisture that reacts with the bare metal and converts it into Iron Oxide (Rust). The better you seal the bare metal from the elements the longer it will last.

Your welder friend most likely shouldn't have a problem patching the holes with patch panels.

All in all there isn't much rust there...

02112007008.jpg

That's a rust problm ;)

My vote would be to get it running and driveable first, then you can take it elsewhere to get fixed. I don't see anything in your pics yet that would keep it from being on the road.

The more you look, the more probs you're going to find....if you find too many, you'll get bummed and want to drop the project. Get it on the road so you can enjoy it, then fix it as you go. When all that stuff is fixed, it won't be that big a deal you yank the motor and paint the eng bay.....same with the interior. My 2 cents :)

My vote would be to get it running and driveable first, then you can take it elsewhere to get fixed. I don't see anything in your pics yet that would keep it from being on the road.

The more you look, the more probs you're going to find....if you find too many, you'll get bummed and want to drop the project. Get it on the road so you can enjoy it, then fix it as you go. When all that stuff is fixed, it won't be that big a deal you yank the motor and paint the eng bay.....same with the interior. My 2 cents :)

I have to agree with Mike here. I got REALLY discouraged with my 521 the more I looked. It had rust a lot like the pic posted by ]2eDeYe. I finally quit trying and found another truck. Bug mistake on my part. It ended up being and awesome runner by the time it went away.

Jester