smog delete help

Siqx20

So I picked up a intake mani. Without a smog pump. Figured it was all u needed. Wrong! So there is a part the exhaust manifold that is part of the smog pump. Blast! Question is can I just tighten that round plate down like a delete? Of am I screwed and now have to ho buy gaskets to put the smog pump back on? Pics:

479.jpg

485.jpg

482.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You might get away with sealing that exhaust manifold back up, but i dont think that it will clear your non-smog intake manifold. To do this correctly, you need the intake and exhaust manifolds, and a exhaust flange to have your exhaust downpipe redone. Mklotz has these exhaust flanges(new) sometimes. Your current downpipe is a single large pipe and the non-smog style is two small pipes that merge after the manifold.

It is worth the extra effort to get all that garbage out of the way though.

So it wont clear the deleted manifold :( o well guess it stays on for a little longer. I started doing this today in account my intake gasket blew so I was dumping coolant. Just waiting in the gasket now to go back together should be wendsday hopefully.

To do this correctly, you need the intake and exhaust manifolds, and a exhaust flange to have your exhaust downpipe redone. Mklotz has these exhaust flanges(new) sometimes. Your current downpipe is a single large pipe and the non-smog style is two small pipes that merge after the manifold.

The '78 and '79 intakes and exhaust are not joined and use coolant to warm the intake. It has the single outlet pipe that should fit your existing down pipe and you won't have to buy and fab a twin.

It is worth the extra effort to get all that garbage out of the way though.

All this extra effort results in .... nothing much. The engine will run the same and a properly running EGR has no effect. At full throttle and idle the EGR isn't even working. If you don't want the EGR it can be defeated simply by pulling the hose of.

The '78 and '79 intakes and exhaust are not joined and use coolant to warm the intake. It has the single outlet pipe that should fit your existing down pipe and you won't have to buy and fab a twi

My truck is a 79 and is has all that smog pump stuff. So Idk. The new intake I have uses the coolant passages u speak of.