no spark 521

My 1970 521 doesn't have any spark all of a sudden. I went to work just fine and then it didn't want to start up. I replaced the resistor and the coil but that hasn't helped at all. The lights and such have electricity but the engine will just turn over. All of the wires are hooked up as far as I can see. Any ideas?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

take cap off and start and see if points open up or open with your finger and see if it sparks.

some people use a test light. clip alligator end on dizzy where point wire goes and pointey end to + side battery if light flashes then points are OK. if not then set point gap or replace.

A electric dizzy would have prevented this. Pointsa re alot more maint. Thats how we gets these cheap datsun. Mostly basic stuff that people dont get.

DatWifey broke down in our 521 a few months ago. Engine just died and would refuse to start. The problem was associated with the points but not directly. There is a small jumper that runs from the points inside the dizzy to outside the dizzy housing. One of the terminal/lug connections on that jumper had pretty much all the strands broken.

Just like wayno said, get a test wire and jumper sections of the ignition system until you identify the bad part.

• 2 weeks later...

Wayno tried jumping the wire like you said and nothing happens. When I tested the voltage of the black/white wire to the ballast it only had 11 volts to it but when the wire to the coil was connected it read 12 volts. Any ideas?

How did Wayno try the jump wire? he is in Vancouver, or going to Canby. You are in San Diego.

Do you have a point type distributer? If you do, hook up a jump wire like Wayno said.

If it does not run, check the point gap. Should be around .020. If you have a dwell meter, set the points to 49 to 55 degrees of dwell.

Check the ignition timing. About 10 degrees before top dead center should make it run.

You even ck the see if the points are opening?

points I bet are closed thats why the 11 volts then read batt voltage when open when the wire is disconnected.

Simple fix.

Get a single point dizzy and get a Pertronix you wont have this proplem agan till at least the bushing wears out

When getting my wagon going, I had a bad connection on the dist.....the bolt going threw the little plastic isolator,,,,was rusty and the copper tab needed to be cleaned.

I had 12volts going to the Dist. but only 6-7 volts on the other side. Once I cleaned it all up, it started...:unsure: