2.3lz piston problem

dropdatsun

ok guys im building a l20b 2.3lz stroker. i already purchase my z24 crank, is sais that there is no need of modifacation to get a 2283 cc. but if u get withd a z22e piston it will give u a higher compression. now i can seem to get some pistons that are an ok prize. i work at napa an i cant even get them hear. now my questions is, is there any other piston that i can get so i can get a higher compression or bore biger, and im also getting ready to get a cam for my l20b how high of valve lift or duration i should get..... thanks guys

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Z24 crank will not fit anything but the Z24 block. The throws on the crank need trimming and the block clearance ground for it to fit into a Z22 or L20B block..

If you want a 2.3 get a Z22 block, crank and rods with K224E pistons. Bore the Z22 out 1mm to 89mm and assemble using an open chamber L head for a 9.8 compression motor.

The Z24 crank will not fit anything but the Z24 block. The throws on the crank need trimming and the block clearance ground for it to fit into a Z22 or L20B block. Better read again...

Stroker 2.3 Liter

Stuff a Z24 crank into a modified Z20/Z22/L20B block by cutting down counterweights as above. (Stuff a Z24 crank and pistons into NAPS-Z or L20B block bored to 89mm by cutting down crank counterweights and clearance grinding block as per Ben Pila.)

No piston modification or block boring needed for 2283cc L series.

see http://hobbslaw.nissanpower.com/custom2.html for an example

Russ noted that his deck height measured -1.77mm with the Z22E pistons that he first tried using, he eventually used milled Z22S pistons to achieve a higher compression ratio.

Parts: Z24 crank, Z22E pistons, Z22S/ L20B rods in a Z22 block or +2mm bored Z20/L20B block.

s/2+r+p= 96/2+145.9+32.1= 226.0 mm

piston deck height: -1.45mm below deck

If you want a 2.3 get a Z22 block, crank and rods with K224E pistons. Bore the Z22 out 1mm to 89mm and assemble using an open chamber L head for a 9.8 compression motor.

Yeah, my Datsun guru said the same thing. You get nearly all the benefits out of a Z22 and it's way easier. If going for the extra stroke of the Z24, you might as well just build a KAZ24, but don't cheap out on the pistons like I did. Get the 10.7:1 Arias versions. I think the next motor I build may well get those.

Z24 crank with extra stroke is fine but putting it in a shorter block isn't. When the crank and the rod form a 90 degree bend the piston is further down the bore and is subject to increased side loading... the rod is pulling in a sideways direction. This is why the Z24 motor is 2cm taller than the Z22/L20B

ok, so i may have made a mistake. i already have the crank at home i got it throw EPWI, but if i take my crank that i have and my block to the machine shop i can make it work. im just at the point that i want my truck like now do u know what i mean. i did want to go with a z22 crank and a z22e pistons for a big bore but EPWI hade them discontinue them,and the crank was re-furnished and i wasent sure that i was ok with that. thanks guys

ok, so i may have made a mistake. i already have the crank at home i got it throw EPWI, but if i take my crank that i have and my block to the machine shop i can make it work. im just at the point that i want my truck like now do u know what i mean. i did want to go with a z22 crank and a z22 KA24e pistons for a big bore but EPWI hade them discontinue them,and the crank was re-furnished and i wasent sure that i was ok with that. thanks guys

Fixed. Maybe a bit more research on what will fit and work and a lot more questions. Some of these parts can be hard to find also.

I think that's KA24E pistons not DE. If it helps the DE have about 10cc more dish in them than the E pistons. On top of that I don't know what the pin height might be. More research is needed before tackling this.

yeaf i have dual side webers that i pick up like a month a go. i wanned to put them on my 620 that i pick up for 300 dollars from a freind, this truck hasent been running for some few years, now i change the four speed to a five speed started it a few time and it ran with no problem, but as soon i instaled the webers my rear main seal started leaking like crazy. i had plans on building a 2.3lz but not so soon i have other projects i was working on. but since i had two block laying arround i decided to go all out and build one right. only thing that im missing is a cam il be picking one up by next week.

• 2 weeks later...