Outlaw 38 and promised pics

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

we got to find someone to help you out with this. should only cost you 25 for a head gasket and maybe 2 hours (if that) of someones time to do the work.

if my car is up and running in the next few days i might be able to make it up next week, the 25th or so.

what carb was on there before? stock?

I like the 38/38 myself also. Since ytou have a L20 manifold on there already Only thing maybe I would have done if you had the time would beto open the top of the manifold where the 38 bolts to. to take more advantage of the 38 bigger size. Unfortunaly later L20 had the nasty exhaust manifold and its a pain in the ass to getoff so I think bolting was the Ezest and fast for the amount of work.

1st gear on hills can be ruff with a 38/38

headgaskets swaps are EZ if one has the L16 manifold or a header but not the L20manifolds

It was the stock carb. It didn't have any issues, though I could start to feel it was getting tired.

I'm loving the 38/38 so far. My truck runs extremely smooth with it, I don't have any regrets but I've only had it on for a couple days. I notice that I have to let it warm up for a lot longer than I did before that's it.

I do have the l20b manifold, I was hoping to get it swapped out when I had the carb done but I couldn't find any l16headers locally.

I'm not a mechanic, and my truck is my DD, so when I tear into something I'm usually needing to be prepared to not drive for a couple days. I haven't been able to do that, and I'm a little more intimidated about ripping apart my engine because I'm learning as I go.

I can only imagine me standing under my carport with my engine in bits and pieces with me on my phone chatting with you guys.

what carb was on there before? stock?

I like the 38/38 myself also. Since ytou have a L20 manifold on there already Only thing maybe I would have done if you had the time would beto open the top of the manifold where the 38 bolts to. to take more advantage of the 38 bigger size. Unfortunaly later L20 had the nasty exhaust manifold and its a pain in the ass to getoff so I think bolting was the Ezest and fast for the amount of work.

1st gear on hills can be ruff with a 38/38

headgaskets swaps are EZ if one has the L16 manifold or a header but not the L20manifolds

Nope I don't have to pass emissions. I've been keeping my eyeballs peeled!

I didn't realize how much was going to go into taking off that manifold and working around it until I got my carb in. That's why I said fuck it and went to the mechanic!

do you have to have your truck pass emissions test?

if not we should find you a non smog intake and exhaust.

and yeah i hate the l20b intake/exhaust set up. it makes every thing harder then it needs to be.

if you dont have a spare car then you did alright.

I got a free L20motor and the intake was a pain just to get the carb off cause all the newer crap they put in the way. barely get a wrench in there and yet along get the lower intake//exhaust flange bolts are a MOFO. You need like U joint socket adpaters.

Just call it good!But if you do have to do a head gasket all that shit has to comeoff.

I will help on the early cars. but later ones I would NOT do it. unless it has the non emission intake/exhauste set ups

if you dont have a spare car then you did alright.

I got a free L20motor and the intake was a pain just to get the carb off cause all the newer crap they put in the way. barely get a wrench in there and yet along get the lower intake//exhaust flange bolts are a MOFO. You need like U joint socket adpaters.

Just call it good!But if you do have to do a head gasket all that shit has to comeoff.

I will help on the early cars. but later ones I would NOT do it. unless it has the non emission intake/exhauste set ups

it shouldn't matter on a head gasket swap about if its early or late.

with the late L20b intake/exhaust. just leave the intake exhaust on the head and unbolt the down pipe.

Just got off the phone with pumpkn210 (Dave).

Coming over tomorrow to get that shit fixed up!

It felt good ripping out all of that emissions crap. As soon as this gasket issue gets taken care of I will clean out the engine bay and the excess wiring. Maybe even pull my windshield wiper fluid out too.

If I don't have a header on there by Canby, I'm sure I can get one of you to sell me one!

The thought is appreciated. I'm sure I will be down in oregon and in need of something to get done. That's the one reliable thing about a Datsun....there is always something to work on.

if it wasnt a 3 hour drive Id come by and crank that out in an afternoon easy

I did however re-crack a sealed head gasket. There was some leaking issues with my head already, and I asked the mechanic to look at it, he said it was just a leaking hose. Even though it's obviously coming from the head. I looked again this morning and it's leaking at the back of the head where I had some problems before that I fixed with some sealant.

So this leak is from between the head and the block? Probably the rear passenger side? There is a heater hose there that could be the cause.