aftermarket fuel guage

so I decided I want a tach, and with the ka swap done, figured I might go with an electric speedo

and swap the whole cluster out

(if I do, I will have a super clean and unfaded guage cluster with 60k for sale. garage kept its entire life.)

searched the forum, couldn't find this info anywhere

but looking online, I see references for gm/ford, chrysler, or amc. all obviously different

resistance values. anyone know what resistance value it is? or which domestic classic its similar too??

I wish the guages gave more resistance value info, but I'm also too lazy to drain my tank and measure full and empty resistance. someone has done this before right?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so I decided I want a tach, and with the ka swap done, figured I might go with an electric speedo

and swap the whole cluster out

(if I do, I will have a super clean and unfaded guage cluster with 60k for sale. garage kept its entire life.)

searched the forum, couldn't find this info anywhere

but looking online, I see references for gm/ford, chrysler, or amc. all obviously different

resistance values. anyone know what resistance value it is? or which domestic classic its similar too??

I wish the guages gave more resistance value info, but I'm also too lazy to drain my tank and measure full and empty resistance. someone has done this before right?

I think I used this one (Empty/Full, 240 Ohms/33 Ohms) a Auto Meter one, I will check and post up later when I dig up my old order. Seeing you did the swap if you used the 240sx pump/sending unit it will be the right one for you. I'll check.

I've always been curious about this.

I've been looking for an aftermarket gauge that matches the Datsun's fuel sender resistance for sometime now, but unfortunatly haven't found one, so I run with no fuel gauge. I just fill up every Friday. Usually still have 1/2 a tank left. maybe one day I'll find a fuel gauge that will work....

Summit sells an aftermarket sunpro sender you can drill your cap to accept. 25 bucks. can't remember what the sunpro gauge was, but it wasn't too much.

0306111514.jpg

0315111733a.jpg

Just remember to make sure your seal is good. I'm sure I dont have to tell you what would happen if after a fillup, you were buzzing corners and fuel flowed over and bridged those 2 terminals........ you'll notice that the stock terminal locations are in the same place, so we all should be aware. Just after you break the seal to make the change over, there's a greater risk of leakage. new gaskets are still available, and a great amount of care should be taken to assure the positive lead doesn't touch the cap also for the same reason. just drill the hole oversized, make sure you have the terminal centered, then tighten it down. This is low current, but be safe, I don't want to be responsible for any deaths. By blowing into your plugged off tank and listening for a hiss or noticing ease of air flow you will know how safe it is. My seal was totally blown, and I disconnected it, until I get around to getting a new one. Funny I started with, "just do this" then scared a lot of people away from attempting it in the same post. Just do the change over sober, realize your life is in your hands, double check everything, and you'll be fine. From what i've seen, any questions, just ask, ratsun has your back.

Can you use a resistor of some sort?

Yes, but then you are introducing a fixed needle offset. Depending on the logic you would only get a true reading on Empty or on Full, all other readings would be skewed [and you might be screwed by running dry].

The current JCWhitney catalog sells a matched gauge and sender set if all else fails.

• 3 weeks later...

this is for a 72 510

I just bought a GM fuel gauge. I need help with wiring it up behind the cluster......which wire is the sender wire, I know its yellow but does is it the one plugged to the back of the cluster? Also need to know which wire is the power wire(assuming red?). Which wire can I tap into on the harness so that the light on the gauge come on when I turn my lights on?

this is for a 72 510 Also need to know which wire is the power wire(assuming red?). Which wire can I tap into on the harness so that the light on the gauge come on when I turn my lights on?

meet your new best friend

1378488.jpg

• Like 1