VG30 Exhaust size opinions

yello620

Looking for opinions on exhaust size for a VG30. What was stock? What is a decent performance upgrade without getting carried away?

Keep in mind it will be for a daily driver. VG30/5spd conversion into 620.

I plan on using a Magnaflow muffler, and was thinking that 2.5" would be plenty. 2.75" is very uncommon, and 3" is too big i think.

I know there is only a few vg30 guys on this site, so lets hear from you.

Thanks

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If duals, then each side is carrying the same as a 1500cc motor. 2" would be way big enough for each side and for the whole system. If you were running a single exhaust maybe 2 1/2 would be needed. The exhaust cools and shrinks in volume as it gets further from the engine so the pipe can be smaller at the back. If using an X connector each exhaust pulse, as it gets there, 'sees' two 2" pipes to travel down so again it has plenty of pipe size. 2" is also much easier to fit the car than something larger.

My plan was to run 2" from the manifold to a "Y" pipe where it would become 2.5" for the rest of the system.

I just seems like 2" from the Y to the end of the tailpipe would be too small, thats what works good on a L20b.

I am planning on going 2" to the "Y" collector and then 2.5" from there out. I am also going to have at least one X pipe in the exhaust system.

This is the same as what I am planning to use for my VG33. Should be plenty big.

2.5" is what ive read on the VG30 website, 3" only if its turbo and highly modified.

Mine is basicly a stock VG30ET, but i am currently upgrading the turbo to a GT35 instead of the stock T3, and a few other things, i yanked out the stock Z turbo exuast manifolds and im having my header guy make me a custom header to relocate my turbo up higher.

I've got 2" into a magnaflow Y pipe measuring at dual 2" inlets and a single 2.5" outlet. It's got two mufflers. Car sounds nice and mellow while street driving and sounds like a banshee at wot. No rasp at all. Sounds VQ'ish.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...