CD player in 620

reese

Looking for info on installing a new CD player into my 620 where the original two hole radio is .. how much of the dash needs to come off or should I just cut it from the front with the old radio out and slip the sleeve in from there? I took the three screws above the gauges and wiper knob out and expected the tan insert to come but it did not, are there some hidden screws elsewhere? What am I not doing? Any info would be great.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You need to take the cigarette lighter out, from the back (the assembly has a bayonet-type holder, which sandwiches the facia and the metal dash frame). You pretty much need tiny hands to reach back there to unscrew it, or I've had luck with a pair of channellocks, but the old radio has to be out to reach it through the radio hole.

There's also a screw holding the gauge cluster to the dash frame, just left of the ashtray. The gauges have to come out as they're screwed to the facia from the back, so teh speedo cable and wiring has to come off.

Once that's all off, you'll have to cut the metal dash frame. Later trucks had a removeable panel there, but that wasn't until '76. It's a lot easier to install one in a console, though you'd have to get a console and all the mounting brackets.

Guest DatsuNoob

Dude, I just took a roto-zip to mine. My dash is nothing great, so I didn't mind too much. I imagine a dremel would work pretty good too. Just cut, test fit, and trim as needed. Not a bad way to go unless you're wanting it hidden, I just wanted it close at hand so I dont gotta take my eyes off the road too much looking down at it.