$250 big brake upgrade?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Or use 280zx or s12 200sx struts and be ahead already with vented rotors. The bolt size is referring, I believe, to the shoulder size on the rotor fixing bolts (that you attach the rotor to the back of the hub with). They're probably the same thread, you'd just need to use the bolts from whatever rotor you're using.

Brake fade can be a problem if racing or extreme canyon carving where the rotor can't shed the heat faster than it's made. A hot rotor is fine but heat will be transferred to the caliper and then it can boil the fluid and cause the brake fade. Brake fade is very rare as the type of driving that causes it is seldom seen on the street. If these rotors work on a 6 cylinder, and I'm guessing here, 2,800 pound car, how much harder would you have to drive a 2,100 pound 510 to get brake fade? A vented rotor would run cooler and give even more resistance to fade but are likely heavier (and with a larger caliper) and would add to the unsprung weight.

I have the 4 piston Toyota calipers and single rotor from an early 4x4 on my 620. I have done several back to back high speed stops and they work very, very well. Oh yeah, the truck weighs 3,600 pounds now.

Brake fade can be a problem if racing or extreme canyon carving where the rotor can't shed the heat faster than it's made. A hot rotor is fine but heat will be transferred to the caliper and then it can boil the fluid and cause the brake fade. Brake fade is very rare as the type of driving that causes it is seldom seen on the street. If these rotors work on a 6 cylinder, and I'm guessing here, 2,800 pound car, how much harder would you have to drive a 2,100 pound 510 to get brake fade? A vented rotor would run cooler and give even more resistance to fade but are likely heavier (and with a larger caliper) and would add to the unsprung weight.

I have the 4 piston Toyota calipers and single rotor from an early 4x4 on my 620. I have done several back to back high speed stops and they work very, very well. Oh yeah, the truck weighs 3,600 pounds now.

I can't imagine the yota 4 pot calipers weighing less than the 280zx, but I could be wrong. I know they're heavy, though.

I can't imagine the yota 4 pot calipers weighing less than the 280zx, but I could be wrong. I know they're heavy, though.

Oh they are big alright but instead of one big piston on one side you have two pair for even clamping. Only meant that a single rotor would be lighter than a vented.

I think the slotting and drilling will also help dissipate heat and weight in addition to the larger 10.62 inch size.

FWIW You want to be careful with drilling rotors. Under hard braking, and excessive heat, you can crack the rotor because of all the holes that are drilled in it. Race cars will run slotted, but not cross drilled rotors.

I'm running S12 200SX struts but they are the 87-88 V6 ones. then to keep 4 lug I got 85 300ZX hubs and rotors and then got some Z32 4 piston calipers (the aluminum ones )

I know that the toyota calipers (s12w) are a popular upgrade for the 240Z. The calipers are very heavy though.

Check out www.hybridz.org and do a search for the upgrade. Lots of good info there.

I answered my question:

(I found this on the realm)

the steering knuckle bolts are aligned differently from the 280zx. [/b]"

the steering knuckle bolts are the same as zx, the hole is however bigger, s12 v6 struts have a 100 mm bolt spacing between the caliper bolts same as z32

d2c76232.jpg

41bdb5ef.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Finished the upgrade. Not certain on all of the components I have, but I ended up using 240Z slotted and drilled rotors (so I must have a 240Z hub, but not certain on the spindle), 280ZX tokico illumina strut inserts (I may have a 200sx/810/280zx strut, but I doubt 280zx or else I would have vented rotors), 1979 toyota 4 pot calipers, stainless steel braided lines, and swift 280lb springs. Had a few issues with piecing everything together, but its together!

5774654820_b9a21fc63b_z.jpg

5774655006_b7c71defbb_z.jpg

5774654934_97963225cf_z.jpg

-Colton

the steering knuckle bolts are the same as zx, the hole is however bigger, s12 v6 struts have a 100 mm bolt spacing between the caliper bolts same as z32

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp41/sssr20det510/d2c76232.jpg

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp41/sssr20det510/41bdb5ef.jpg

I want to do a 5 lug swap badly. I searched here but did not find much information.

I want to do a 5 lug swap badly. I searched here but did not find much information.

The keeper has a set of the S12 struts that you want then, they already have coil overs on them

Finished the upgrade. Not certain on all of the components I have, but I ended up using 240Z slotted and drilled rotors (so I must have a 240Z hub, but not certain on the spindle), 280ZX tokico illumina strut inserts (I may have a 200sx/810/280zx strut, but I doubt 280zx or else I would have vented rotors), 1979 toyota 4 pot calipers, stainless steel braided lines, and swift 280lb springs. Had a few issues with piecing everything together, but its together!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3212/5774654820_b9a21fc63b_z.jpg[/img

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5063/5774655006_b7c71defbb_z.jpg[/img

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3306/5774654934_97963225cf_z.jpg[/img

-Colton

now...

since you used 240Z rotors and hubs and possibly struts, wouldn't it be possible to use the Z31 vented rotor, rotor spacer and vented calipers that the 240Z guys do?

that way you would probably never ever have to worry about brake fade! haha

I'm kind of disappointed at the use of Illumina's though :/

Ian,

I can do the vented upgrade, but Im not certain the caliper will fit under my wheel (they protrude out a ton, and a spacer on my front wheel to make clearance is a no go. I also didnt like the idea of having to buy the rotor spacers for a $100). I had illuminas before and I wasnt unhappy. I also got a great deal on the new ones I purchased. So yeah, could of went more badass on the whole setup, but budget dictated my brake upgrade/strut rebuild and I think I made the best with what I had to work with.

-Colton

pics on the car:

5790416652_8f75b47091_b.jpg