Holley carbs

With the LZ20 getting ready to go together I was wondering what a decent carb would be for it. I currently have a 2 barrel Holley which seems to be from their street series (i've yet to identify it as I cant find a identification num on it) but it has nothing resembling a choke on it which makes starting her up in the AM a PITA (won't idle for several minutes unless the carb is richened up a ton). Been trying to find the choke setup at Pick N Pull but no luck so far. If I were to say try and find a set of SU's what size would be best? What about if I go the Weber route what would be a good one to grab? It will be running an A87 head (been surfaced a bit much so it will be a bit over 9:1 CR) with z20e flattop pistons, basically a stock motor.

Would love some input on what would be ideal/budget

~Derick

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2bbl Holly? Like from an old 260 Ford Falcon? Too big and both barrels open at the came time so you have to come in lightly and add throttle or it will bog.

SUs from an L16 or L18SSS on a Nissan manifold would work. Weber 32/36 can't go wrong, and it fits the stock manifold with an adapter.

I am curious myself. I just got handed a holley carb, and can't any information on it at all.

Mine has an electric choke though. But the mounting base is longer. I'm thinking mine might be from a Toyota 22R?

It was a donation to my friend's school. New instructor at the school handed it to him since he has a Datsun. Thought it would work for him. Carb has never been used. Spotless.

If someone steps in and says they know something about these I'll go get some oic's.

Holly also made a direct copy of the 32/36 back in the day. A little harder to find, don't think the jets interchange. I doubt an early 2bbl holley would be that bad on an L. Just make sure it's a fairly low cfm one. A weber would be better though.

Holly also made a direct copy of the 32/36 back in the day. A little harder to find, don't think the jets interchange. I doubt an early 2bbl holley would be that bad on an L. Just make sure it's a fairly low cfm one. A weber would be better though.

Me personally, I just want to know what it is...Craigslist fodder.

I don't think mine will fit a datsun manifold. The length of the base is like a 1/2" longer than the stock mounting location.

I looked up the list number on my carb

Only if I could find the specs of this thing. Its for a engine quite a bit bigger than my L series what do you think, should I replace with a weber or SU's if I can find em?

Holley 3485 is specifically designed for 1965 - 1967 Ford, Galaxy, Fairlane, Falcon, Mustang, Comet and Cougar with 289 engine

• 2 months later...

That is a Holley 5200. They were supplied on many Ford vehicles (Motorcraft) and also on millions of Chevrolets. Both 4 and V6. Mustang V6 had this.

It is a licensed copy of Weber 32/36, but usually flows less CFM and uses Holley jets instead of Weber jets. Air cleaner flange is different too.