Gaskets, pistons and rings oh my!

Just Joel

Alright ratsun, my l20b is at the machinists gettin pretty but I now need to locate and acquire parts and gaskets. I have browsed rock autos on line selection but other than price difference, I don't know one brand from the other. My question for you is what brands have you used or you know as a"good" quality product. I'm looking for pistons, bearings, rings... The works ;) also I need a gasket set, preferably japanese.

Thanks in advance

Joel

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't take it to a machine shop that bores with out having the piston

DING! DING! DING!

All pistons are not the same size. No matter how many times it says 85.00mm on the side of the box.

Making a hole, without knowing how big to make it just sounds like fail.

L20B factory pistons range from 84.985mm to 85.035mm. As you can see it's possible to have a piston that is larger than the hole!!!! After market could be better or worse. Best is to supply the pistons and let the guy doing the bore job work it out.

Ha ha, Oops... We seen to have gotten off track a bit ;) the shop and I both know that we need the pistons before he can even touch the block (I thought I mentioned that) they are working on the head, crank, and deck while I look for parts. Which gets us back to my original question of manufactures that produce quality engine components. I have found many suppliers, all carrying different brands of which I know little about other than what the supplier tells me (a rather bias review based on what they carry) and list price. What I need from ratsun is experience of what you use and trust in your past/current rebuilds. I thank you for your concern but helpfully this clears up my objective ;)

Thanks

Joel

The felpro kits are fine. Just depends what they have. there are from cover kits. head kits and If I remeber right a full whole kit. Nice blue gaskets.

The Felpro intake are already the 1.5 intake size if you have a SSS head or Match ported to SSS spec.

I like them myself!!!! just go to O rileys and write in felpro then youll put your car type and year. If you have a square port head put in a ealeier model. later gaskets are the same just round exhaust gaskets.

Im not a Fan of Orileys but a Fan of Felpro

I buy a couple front cover sets myself as I always use them later.

• 1 year later...

Are all of the fel-pro L16/L18 intake gaskets the right size for the intake ports on a 219 SSS head?

I tried making the intake ports on another gasket larger, but It didn't seem to seal correctly after I modified it.