Excessive crank case pressure

Siqx20

So I know I have to much crank case pressure as it comes blowing out my valve cover breather and I have alot coming out my crank case vent into my pcv. Well my valve cover vent routes back into my carb imtake and was blowing moisture into my intake filter pan. It kept soaking my filter and was running all that shit through my motor. So I decided to just vent the valve cover into the atmosphere to keep it out of my engine. So upon further inspection it appears the air coming from my valve cover is a white smoke and the moisture is clear. Almost like water. But there is no water in my oil or any thing or visa versa. Im a little confused by this as I assumed the only liquid in my valve cover is gonna be oil. and rhe air coming off the vent smells more like exhaust and fuel then any thing else. Not really sure what to make of it all. I was hoping some ratsun peeps could help me out. Our if your in the eugene area if u woukd like to c come enlighten me. These L motors are all new to me along with carburetors in general lol so just trying to learn thx

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My guess would be that you've got excessive amounts of blow-by. If the stuff smells like exhaust coming out of your crankcase and head smell like exhaust, I would guess that they are, which I would think is likely blow-by. Not sure the cause of this, could be bad or stuck rings, or something along those lines. Somebody let me know if I'm way off here.

Generally the rings do a good job of sealing and containing the pressures generated above the piston in the combustion chamber but if badly worn out, cylinder pressure will squeeze past them and enter the crank case. It's possible you could have a broken piston or a hole in one.

I would do a compression test. A low cylinder would indicate a leak or just badly sealing rings.

Not to hijack, but wouldn't high oil consumption accompany a a bad ring, or a hole in a piston etc.? I have a little pressure coming out my valve cover too, but i burn next to no oil as far as I can tell. No smoke and don't have to add between oil changes. Just curious.

I had a lot of blowby coming out of my L20b, a little is normal, My engine also used a lot of oil, so much that I never changed oil, because after 2 weeks I had already changed the oil, I just changed the oil filter when ever I thought about it. The excessive crankcase pressure also made the seals seep, enough to mark territory, but not enough to made big spots, the engine ran great till the day I replaced it, I remember one day when I had to add a lot of oil, when I started it it blew white smoke for quite a while, wore out valve guides/seals I suspect. wayno

wow how can some ppl be that stupid? ? Yrah the thing runs great. Hardly burns any oil at all.I'm gonna vent the valve cover to the atmosphere and change the oil incase the oil is contaminated with fuel and exhaust. run a comp test maybe a leak down and see what's up and them prolly just roll with it till the bitch blows up. Then either rebuild it out throw aka in for fun

I route a big hose from the valve cover and route it down(open) by the trans in case of a little oil comming out the valve cover and getting on fire wall ect...

If you still have the stock carb I assume you would want to suck it in to the aircleaner. The aircleaner has a little valve.

If you have a weber dgv there should be a hole with a white elbow that one can rout the hose to under the aircleaner to suck up the sticky smell.

Originally it was going into my webber but the exhaust was creating condensation in the line and blowing all that shit into my carb and making a mess. So I just routed it to the ground like you had said.that was my original intention and when I noticed the fumes were exhaust like and was blowing something more like water instead of oil.that's when I was confused and started this thread.

I had a similar issue with my l16 as I was coming back from h2's place over in seaside, it was so bad that I was puking oil out of my crank case (I didnt realize it but P/O plugged the vent doh!!) the plug was popped out and I puked tons of oil. Barely got home had to stop to add more oil a few times, I hooked up the EGR valve (valve on intake mani?) then it started puking out out of valve cover vent. Pulled head to find that the stock 210 head was shaved down past the bottom the the "210" casting and cylinders were gouged badly.

I had something like that on my Z car. Lots of oil comming from both the crank and the valve cover. even the oil cap. Shit was everywhere. Well I pulled the motor and found a broken piston and ring.

Well I should add that it didn't start puking oil until I blew the H/G, but before that I was having quite a bit of fumes coming from my engine bay. While I'm no mechanic I would say it sounds like what I was experiencing.

Oddly enough it is a little high. I will need to find some time to get her drained and refilled to the propper level. I didnt do the oil change last time i took it to lithia nissan on account i had just moved and hadent moved my tools or tool boxes up yet. Is There any reason why this would cause any of my symptoms?

If the level is too high the crank will splash it into a fine mist that will find it's way out the vent pipe. Unlikely but just possible. It would have to be really overfilled.

Did it start doing this all of a sudden?

• 1 month later...

If there is oil in the radiator water, then it is more than likely a 210 head casting, and it is likely internally cracked. I know a guy that sliced one of them heads like a loaf of bread till he found the crack inside the head. I had the same problem, oil in the water, it was not that bad till I drove it on the freeway, on the freeway you have constant high oil pressure, unlike in town when it goes up and down. That L16 was gutless anyway, I upgraded to a L20b, W53 head upgraded with bigger valves, and dual SU type sidedrafts, best thing I ever did. I beat the shit out of that engine for at least 10 years, it never let me down, but it sure used a lot of oil in the end. wayno