Holy...

So my 70' 510 wagon yet again blew my mind.......

My car has had this weird problem where it keeps dying when you drive a block away.

I had The Carb rebuilt, new plugs and wires, timing, fuel filter, new fuel lines and I took the gas tank out: stripped it down flushed it and re-lined it with crazy chemicals.

let it dry and put it back on.

So I put new gas in it, but the battary was dead. Had my friends jump it with his honda. It started right up and then started smoking really bad and idling funny. so my friends were adjusting the idle screw and the wagon (by itself) switched into reverse and backed out of the drive way, ripped the jumper cables in half, and almost hit the people across the street.

After that I have no clue what could be wrong. It still wont drive more than a block. But it dose start.

Any thoughts Datsun heads?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this an auto wagon? Shifter on the tree? My guess is that you didn't put it in park all they way and a bump knocked the lever down into reverse.

The dyeing, does it restart right away. My guess is probably a vacuum leak. Any change on whether the car is hot or cold?

It dose restart but will bog down and die again even when it warms up. Im sure it did bump into reverse, and I know it has a Vacuum leak Im just not sure if thats the main problem. Im sure it dosnt help it at all.

So my 70' 510 wagon yet again blew my mind.......

My car has had this weird problem where it keeps dying when you drive a block away.

...... It still wont drive more than a block. But it dose start.

Any thoughts Datsun heads?

Starts but only drives a block at a time?

Float is set way too high or stuck in the up position. Car idles in neutral and slowly fills the float chamber but when driving the demand is higher than the supply that can get into the carb and it runs out and stalls.

Next time it quits, don't restart. Look and see if there is fuel through the glass on the front of the carb. Probably empty.

something ive learned over time. Problem solve before you throw money at it :rofl:

Usually ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, This works backwards with Wive's and GF's ,,,,,,,, through money at them first and see if they leave u alone ,,,,,,,,, :lol: ollz

Although ,,,,,,,,,

It can be a viscous cycle ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and back to your Sig Izzo

"If it has tits or tires it will give you trouble"

ollz :lol: :lol: :lol: ,,, AMEN ,,, ollz

( I apologize to the cool/nice ladies on the forum and around the world ,,, )

Is this even charging? have you measure it with a volt meter?

How does a battery die? its old, not holding a charge, or batt is OK but alternaotr not charge n. thus killing the battery, and outting aload on it then it will die.

Could be carb ar Mike says also.

But cking with a volt meter is FREE.

next time it dies immediatly look in carb and cycle the linkage and see if gas is shooting in the main barrel. If not your float bowl is running dry.

If smells gassy maybe your over fillinf the float bowl( needle valve, or float arm bent)

also be nice to know if this thing ran good before and maybe yuswap out a coil or something and this could be causing it

"If it has tits or tires it will give you trouble"

ollz :lol: :lol: :lol: ,,, AMEN ,,, ollz

( I apologize to the cool/nice ladies on the forum and around the world ,,, )

"If it has heels or wheels it's trouble". I also, am old enough to know to add the following disclaimer: ( I apologize to the cool/nice ladies on the forum and around the world ,,, ):lol: