HF Winch Mod

I've had this winch for awhile now. It's a wireless remote controlled ATV winch that goes on sale for about $49-59 at HF. I figured it would work great for pulling heavy cars...specifically the fairlane... in and out of the shop when I'm home alone :)

The main drawback of the winch is that it is meant to mount to an ATV. I needed to be able to anchor it to something else. I figured it would either be a tow rope or tow chain, so I made a plate to handle both. :) Pretty simple project, pics should explain enough by themselves. The hook is off center to the plate, but on center to the winch so that it won't pitch sideways when pulling. I did test it out and it worked pretty nicely. The vid that was taken was way too shaky to bother posting.

The center hook is so that I can hook a tow rope. The other two hooks are for a chain. In hind sight, I probably could have simply looped the chain on the middle hook. I may redo the plate again so that it will hook up to a receiver hitch or trailer ball. Someday....maybe.... :)

100_0405.jpg

100_0406.jpg

100_0407.jpg

100_0408.jpg

100_0409.jpg

100_0410.jpg

100_0412.jpg

100_0413.jpg

100_0414.jpg

100_0416.jpg

100_0417.jpg

100_0419.jpg

100_0420.jpg

100_0421.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike, i love your "tech / how to" threads. Lots of pics & explanations that make it possible for the garage mechanic [most of us] to do it.

Ill share this thread with Steroid. He was wanting to do a similar setup on his trailer to make loading & unloading easier.

Thanks guys. :)

I've got some ideas in my head about a slightly different plate that would add even more versatility. I whipped this one out to pull the fairlane it's hole. It was doing it...very slowly, but it was doing it. But, at the time, it started to rain pretty heavily so my wife and neighbor helped me to push the fairlane and be done with it.

I was thinking about mating it to the receiver hitch to pull cars onto a dolly, but the dolly would already be attached to the hitch. I can think of an easy remedy if I owned the dolly, but I don't. Heck.....I don't see me getting any rigs that require a dolly anytime soon!! :)

Anyway.........

Those winches are slow but they do the job. I had one on the back of my old rock krawler buggy for the rear suspension. I made to a toggle switch like a normal winch,if you do that the circuit operates off of the ground if I remember correctly, took me a bit to figure that one out