klotz,hainz, mikle,charlie69, help...

phatdave

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

loks like you have a weber DGV.

there should be a port at the base of the carb(on the carb itself) this will go to the vac adv on the dizzy. early model dizzy might have a threaded type set up. I just rig a hose to fit over the threaded part

Looks like a J motor you have there.

The metal line to the intake goes where? I am not familiar with J motors myself. if goes not where I assume it better be plugged.But it shouldnt go to the dizzy if it is as it will cause it to adv to much. But Im not a J motor expert

Dave, if I get time tomorrow I will take some pictures. However, I can tell you that the line that you have coming off the intake plugged with the screw goes to a gizmo that mounts to the firewall that some folks on here say is a altitude compensator of some kind. The vaccuum from my distributor to my original Nikki carb screws into the base of the carburetor on the valve cover side of the carb.

Dave....I posted the answer to this in your other thread explaining why the vac signal can't come from the mani. I just happened across this thread and did not get a notification...I'm only subscribed to 2 or 3 threads on this forum any more. :)

This is the rear shot, see the outlet in the manifold with the white cap on it, that is where it is on my manifold, and it is capped off. That screw/bolt almost touching the valve cover is my choke cable attachment point, below that is where my dist. vac. attachment point is on my carb.

DSCN0468.jpg

DSCN0466.jpg

I am in need of a longer throttle cable. I called about a universal cable kit and found one for SEVENTY DOLLARS. Bull-shit.

So I start thinking ( yeah,yeah,yeah )...Ill quit thinking soon. My idea was to use a Ernie Ball low E guitar string. Which will work except for the end that hooks up to the gas peddle. It's just a bit small....

So how do I fix this problem ? Here is where a good idea gets great. I will buy the correct size split shot , for fishing, and crimp it onto the pedal end of the cable. You know, where it fits into the slot there. I just saved 65.00$ :D

She runs fine as far as I can tell. Of course she isn't under a load , however there is ZERO backfiring.

So Mklotz, here is the info you wanted. A Weber 32/36 will work on a J13 Datsun.The dist. is getting whatever vacuum it needs from the exhaust mani. My olde mechanic friend that said it might work that way seems to be correct.

I will contact him about more information as to why this might work.

So...you have the dizzy vac line hooked up to the exh mani? It's not getting the signal it should, if it's getting any at all. My guess is that it's a J13.....it's not a fast revving engine. The mechanical advance is probably doing all the work. Without checking the timing and such, I couldn't say where things are at. But....they are very forgiving motors......at least my E1 was (same as j13) so it's it's running good....awesome!!!! Drive it and enjoy it! :)

Awesome creativity on the cable Dave!!! Love it! :)

I don't have your other thread handy....didn't you say this carb was ordered for a specific engine? Did it come from the factory, jetted for a small eng? What I'm getting at is if this carb was jetted for a specific motor that is smaller than the 2.3L they are normally jetted for, did they send a list of the jet sizes? A list of what jets are in the carb would help others trying to put a DGV on such a small motor. :)

phatDave I know you menat Intake manifold when you said the dizzy is hooked up to? NOT Exhaust manifold

Hainz, Yes intake is correct. Did I say exhaust somewhere on this thread ? If I did say exhaust it was just the prescription pain killers getting to me... :P

Doh! That should have dawned on me too!! The intake mani will still give you the opposite signal of what you want for that dizzy. Yes, they do make vac advances on cars that work off the mani vacuum. Some of the hondas I've had used both.