chrome bumpers!!!!!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

some old fool sanded the chrome off and painted them to.match the car in 81. I'm just lucky to have found a rust free DATSUn in ohio land of sucks

So, what you are saying is that you have bumpers, they are just painted? You, my friend, are doing much better than a lot of bumper-less 510s on here. Remove them, use aircraft stripper, and slowly polish them back using progressively higher number (less grit) sandpaper until they are silky smooth. Run a few coats of clear across them and you are good to go until you are ready to either get your set re-chromed or find another set in as good or better shape. All about the patience...

figured that with all the guys running around without, someone had a set in thier garage. guess not cool well i guess im going the sand polish clearcoat route until some how i become rich.

i run a stereo shop if anyone needs anything. thanks for the help.:)

figured that with all the guys running around without, someone had a set in thier garage. guess not cool well i guess im going the sand polish clearcoat route until some how i become rich.

i run a stereo shop if anyone needs anything. thanks for the help.:)

My bumpers are not on because the I never had a rear bumper because it got destroyed in a rear end hit. So off with the front bumper to make the car look level.

There is a chopshop for nissans and datsun old cars around my area and he told me he has ALL the parts and shells (rusted for sure) for your 510's. I didnt ask how much are the bumpers yet because ive no clue how much they go for. Im supposed to meet up with hik this saturday noon time because all his datsuns are located in a bigger lot few miles from his shop. I wanted to look confident how much they go for so he wont over charge so let me know how much are these bumpers.

There is a chopshop for nissans and datsun old cars around my area and he told me he has ALL the parts and shells (rusted for sure) for your 510's. I didnt ask how much are the bumpers yet because ive no clue how much they go for. Im supposed to meet up with hik this saturday noon time because all his datsuns are located in a bigger lot few miles from his shop. I wanted to look confident how much they go for so he wont over charge so let me know how much are these bumpers.

Looking forward to your recon of this Shangri-La...

BTW armycook, are you stationed at 'Lost In The Woods'?

Good chroming is expansive. It involves doing the "body work" on the bumper until it is straight, and polishing and cleaning the bare metal. it is then copper plated, and cleaned, and polished again. Then it is nickel plated, and cleaned and polished again. Then the perfect smooth surface gets chromed.

It involves a lot of manual labor, by skilled people, working around nasty chemicals, that are an EPA nightmare to dispose of.

That is why chrome plating is so expensive.

@ the last swap meet bumpers were selling for around $250-300 re chromed...one guy was asking $500 for one rechromed and all the holes filled.....

I picked up a fairly good pair of 510 bumpers locally for $100 (for the pair!!!)

WHen you goto the datsun yard, offer him $100/per if they are in decent shape. All he can do is raise the price.

Yes I am stationed here in Lost in the Woods. I hate this place man but it made me closer to my 77 Celica project since theres nothing else to do out here lol. Im starting to get used to it and have fund a bit. But Im just a little disappointed not finding a 510 for myself. Hopefully I get to find a buyer of the Celica and get a 510. This guy who owns this Nissan/ Datsun salvage yard told me he can get me any part for the 510.. even a whole shell but the shell would be guaranteed a rustbucket but we'll see. I hope I find a decent one with just surface rust. Smiley chrome (japanese version) bumpers had been a problem with my Celica as well. Hopefully I find your bumpers and other "hard to find" Datsun parts. You can shoot me an email if you want me to find another part other than the bumper and I will try and find it for you. Bad thing is that this guy already got a clue how bad I wanted the 510 so i hope i persuade him into not over charging me because of my high demand for the car.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.