1973 240Z KA24DET

Hey Guys - new to Ratsun, not new to cars :D

This is in my opinion a fairly huge build, and seeing as I am 21 and a full time Mechanical Engineering student at Conestoga and work part time at RONA, there is no set deadline on this build (low budget per pay etc, working on it one day a week.), but in the end it will be minty :cool:

Soo, this build started as an 1990 SOHC 240SX hatch, KA24Power's old car. Probably should not have sold this car, but I wouldnt have an S30 if i didn't lol.

P9161565.jpg

I sold that to Kollo (who is building it now), and bought a black 1995 Zenki 240 off Simplemind7.

IMG_1200.jpg

The S14 was f*cked. It looked fairly clean underneath - but that turned out to be massive amounts of bondo, fiberglass, hot glue gun sticks, drywall mesh tape, cardboard, hockey tape and duck tape used to fix anything wrong with it :/: The floor was soggy. I've never seen anything like it. The floor was solid at the frame rail joint, but the floor folded down around the frame at least an inch at the greatest movement. Wasn't rusted out or anything, just... soggy. (NOTE: I am in no way blaming Brendan for doing these things to it - I know thats not his style - whoever did do this however deserves a punch in the ovaries). Fenders and front bumper were held on with self tapping zinc plated screws..

DSCF0103.jpg

DSCF0147.jpg

My entire direction for this build changed in the past 3 days. Friday night an idea came upon me, and I researched. Saturday night I went and took a look at a disassembled car and put a deposit down. Sunday night, much thanks to a few guys helping me out huge (David, Ben and John), I picked up said disassembled car and brought it to my shop. I picked up an entire 1973 240Z, in parts, for a extremely good price.

Avion-Datsun20Mar018.jpg

Avion-Datsun20Mar017.jpg

Avion-Datsun20Mar016.jpg

berlin2004184.jpg

berlin2004185.jpg

Datsun5mars024.jpg

IMG_0267.jpg

Don't mind the surface rust on the frame rail - they're 100x more solid than any S13 rail I've seen lol.

Looks half decent with some Blitz Type 03's..

057.jpg

056.jpg

058.jpg

Spent some money on these that probably shouldve been spent on the Datsun lol. Oh well. Green XJ daily - then S13 daily - now red WJ daily - need new pics with lift and other mods.

5300_239402820051_509695051_8419700_4328523_n.jpg

IMG00139-20100702-1940-1.jpg

IMG00114-20101031-1742.jpg

Due to various reasons, left my shop in Tavistock (~2000 sqft) and crammed everything into my garage (~200 sq ft) FML. Space is a little tight. Working @ Rona part time has its benefits i.e. 1.25" thick melamine workbench for ~$5. I'll miss the shop mascot though.

IMG_0257.jpg

IMG_0250.jpg

066.jpg

073.jpg

Figured it was time for a legit rotisserie -

IMG00006-20100802-0007.jpg

Stripped all paint off the car, as well as up to 3/8" thick of bondo off the roof and rear quarters even though the metal on the roof was perfect, and it looked as though they tried to reshape the contours of the rear for no particular reason. Used stripper, sandblaster as well as blowtorch and scraper. Primered it, and will get little spot touch ups when time comes for paint.

IMG00067-20100912-2150.jpg

IMG00108-20101027-2025.jpg

075.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm set for fuel, cams, efan, fidanza,

IMG_0249.jpg

IMG_0246.jpg

IMG_0239.jpg

IMG00012-20100513-2354.jpg

5 bolt had to be removed from R34 GTR knuckle so I can use the Z32 big spline 5 lug. It appears as though the GTR knuckle is an aluminum version of the S14 which would eliminate the issue of coilovers for you guys that upgrade to Z32 uprights and need to switch bottom mounts.

Step 1: 3 Jackstands and a BFH.

084.jpg

Step 2: Booya.

087.jpg

Z32 Big Spline 5 Lug, S14 Front spindles, FLCA. Bushing on the FLCA had to be ground down 1/16" to fit the S30 Subframe..

IMG_0284.jpg

IMG_0238.jpg

IMG_0236.jpg

Garrett GT3076R 0.60 A/R - Super Legit Paperweight.

049.jpg

Z33 VQ35 6 Speed :D Vs. KA

IMG_0286.jpg

IMG00055-20100829-1953.jpg

A little bit of the dirty work. The name of the paint stripper is true.. As are the warning symbols :| Second pic shows one coat of stripper left on for 10 minutes which was wiped off and then a coat of easy off to degrease. Works wonders.

IMG_0275.jpg

IMG_0277.jpg

Started cleaning up / primering parts while my money is tied up in school. That way when I buy all the remaining parts I can assemble shit without waiting around on cleaning em :D Also, started to measure & design my build in Solidworks. Have the 5 lug, Q45 output shafts, Brake rotors, as well as starting on engine. For dreaming purposes the KA crank is fully balanced, but i'll be changing it to realism someday..

IMG_0273.jpg

IMG_0159.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

IMG_0162.jpg

Picked up a new cowl piece - thx JP.

IMG_0262.jpg

This probably shouldn't have been used as a amp ground wire..

011.jpg

A buddy hooked me up with a E36 M3 Dash, centre console, glovebox, trim etc. (Picture not of mine). Will need a tiny bit of trimming obviously, but is almost the same curve and width as S30. E46 M3 Cluster looks alot nicer, so i'll probably end up going for it.

E36Dash.jpg

IMG_0228.jpg

If someone wants a FG S30 replica to start off of you can have it for a doubledouble :D.

IMG00112-20101031-1711.jpg

The black 240z has a roughly similar end product as what I want, however mine will be a fair bit wider. Talks with Weirtech about a cage for the Z similar to this, but with adjusments to meet spec here:

IMG_1006.jpg

IMG_0987.jpg

185_8566sized.jpg

Good news is that I bought a ZEDD Findings floor kit which is perfect as I am lifting the floors 1 3/4" to 2", as they sit below the rockers, and would scrape like nobody's business. I need to fab up my own GTR subframe mount and will probably make my own floor rails as the ZEDD findings ones are just bent 18ga sheet. After major components are fabbed up, I will take the car on rotisserie to nearest Rhinoliner and spray the entire bottom - stiffens the hell out of it, sound deadens, as well as the obvious rust proofing bonus..

I am also researching some form of skid plate to protect a Xcessive Manufacturing/Greddy sump oilpan from gnarly speedbumps.

My new friend.

IMG_0268.jpg

Most importantly, you have to have the gf who puts up with all your car addiction bs :D

Untitled.jpg

i figured it wouldve gone alot quicker but this little bit took over an hour with a knotted wire brush on an angle grinder.

After grinding:

photo.jpg

After primer;

photo5.jpg

Cleaned up and painted the Z32 5 lug and BNR34 knuckles.

photo4.jpg

Also kept busy lifting my daily - this is beside a stocker. 3" IRO lift which lifted it 4.375" all around before sag and is at about 4.25" after 2 weeks.

photo2.jpg

Here's some more-

Beforish:

IMG_0461.jpg

After a couple hours:

IMG_0451.jpg

IMG_0457.jpg

Started cutting off all those annoying clip things.

IMG_0455.jpg

Bought one of these: Q45 90mm throttle body + tps.

IMG_0443.jpg

I should probably apologize somewhere in the thread for taking all pics with my iPhone - not the greatest quality.

Also, subframe is sandblasted just needs to get picked up and slapped on, so I can start on S13 coilover conversion on S14 arms..

My wallet hates me.

Started hacking the E36 dash with a dremel + sawblade.

IMG_0464.jpg

IMG_0474.jpg

IMG_0472.jpg

IMG_0474.jpg

IMG_0468.jpg

IMG_0470.jpg

IMG_0476.jpg

Thinking about taking off these drip trays - i think it'll look hell of a lot better.. thoughts?

Soo the only reason I was using the M3 E36 dash was because a stock one cost a fortune in good shape. Until I met an old guy who lives a few streets over from me and he hooked me up.

'72 240Z Dash - professionally restored

Heater center vent

Centre Console

All necessary tubing

BNIB dash side vents

Glove box

Dash to windshield trim

Dash harness (not needed I'm doing new gauges throughout)

Front Grille

Hood hinges

Tail light finisher pieces

Price for all of the above? $280. There are probably a quite a few ppl who can appreciate how much of a steal that is.

Enough speak, more pics.

IMG_0512.jpg

IMG_0513.jpg

IMG_0517.jpg

IMG_0520.jpg

IMG_0521.jpg

Also started fitting the S14 suspension

IMG_0526.jpg

And fabbed up some arms to hold the front on rotisserie.

IMG_0524.jpg

Soo I got an email from the guy that I bought my dash from about a hood for sale out in Brantford. I headed out there after work and met Chris and Rob - couple of bro's that have a pair of Datsun Z cars - one of them RB swapped. Cool dudes - sold me this hood for $50 :o

IMG_0531.jpg

Then I got to work on the front half of the rotisserie - s'all done. The rear half will be done up on Tuesday.

IMG_0533.jpg

IMG_0535.jpg

IMG_0536.jpg

Soo Tim is pretty good at photochop and made this for me.

wats071.jpg

I'm a fan. This will happen + spoiler + black window trim - headlight covers.

Joe came over last night and we talked about expensive things..

1) 4-6 point cage, X bar tied into the rear R34 Subframe mount, 2 to strut towers, harness bars across. Tucked to cnt-hairs width from the roof and sides.

2) R34 rear subframe mount.

3) Fender brace that runs along the dogleg and around tucked to upper rad support and back around the other side (Beginnings of a tube front end).

Cage looks a lot like this..

DSCF0966.jpg

And rear subframe mounted alot like this:

dscf1014q.jpg

Also just sketched this up for mounting the rear of the R34 GTR subframe - thoughts on improvements/weaknesses? Its similar but alot different to that setup ^. For those unfamiliar with isometric drawings, the right side is a sectioned view to show what the fastener is doing. The darker grey blob is actually supposed to be a 3/4x6" hex head bolt but Solidworks is weaksauce at displaying true fastener sizing.

R34RearMount.jpg

PIG ROAST!!

Finally got off my ass and finished the rotisserie.

Rear welds are fairly solid.

IMG_0565.jpg

IMG_0568.jpg

IMG_0574.jpg

Need to bolt the arms to the T-bar before I try spinning it lol.

Had an hour or so to work on er tonight..

Also had a package come in the mail. I <3 when that happens. Todays xmas present was a Q45 90mm throttle body+tps.

Couple of comparison shots with a stock KA ~60mm tb..

IMG_0582.jpg

IMG_0584.jpg

Bolted er up.

IMG_0586.jpg

Spun er right round.

IMG_0588.jpg

Cleaned some crap off.

IMG_0594.jpg

Primered er up.

IMG_0590.jpg

Including my freshly blasted subframe..

IMG_0592.jpg

Most productive hour of my day :D

Had a few hours to work on the Z (I need a good name for her)..

Started with one of these..

IMG_0595.jpg

Drilled a crapload of holes..

IMG_0597.jpg

IMG_0596.jpg

Cleaned the bish.

IMG_0607.jpg

IMG_0603.jpg

Primed a bit

IMG_0611.jpg

IMG_0609.jpg

Also, bought one of these to complete my modernized suspension - JDM S14 swaybar 27mm w/ JDM S14 TC brackets. Also doubles as a rad mount and I can now order S14 sizes with install ease.. Not bad for $45 lol.

Might work on er again tonight and see how far I gets :D

Sorry for the delay boys..

My co-op term ended so I took the gf to Santa Maria, Cuba to celebrate. Things got silly and we had drinking team tshirts made up for the group lol.

CayoSantaMaria.jpg

222991_10150183598915747_504280746_6932994_4376190_n.jpg

Did a bit more cleaning up on the underside the day I got back.

IMG_0615.jpg

IMG_0613.jpg

Started on the passenger side.

IMG_0627.jpg

IMG_0629.jpg

Made plans to have some guys come over and get both floors done on Monday night. Monday morning on the way to work going about 80 clicks down a street, this happened. I had to countersteer and the jeep was on about a 20 degree angle while going straight down the road. Scary shit.

IMG_0643.jpg

IMG_0647.jpg

Insurance doesn't cover mechanical failures. Ghey. Tuesday morning picked this up from my buddy JP for a good deal - should be a fairly sick daily.

DSC_0117.jpg

DSC_0120-2.jpg

2002 Sentra SE-R Spec V

6 speed, LSD, bunch of new shit.

Ksport Kontrol pro coilovers. Height and preload adjustable, and 32 way dampening adjustable, with camber plates with pillow ball mounts.

Jim Wolf balance shaft removal kit

Stillen Intake

XS-Power header

BC cams

Rota slipstream wheels, with 225/45/16 kdws on the back (90% tread) and 215/45/16 rt 615's on the front

Nismo lower tie bar

Kenwood deck with Ipod

OEM nissan roof racks with back rack, and snowboard attachments

Magnaflow catback exhaust

Vibrant flat black muffler

Exams are almost done so I got antsy.. ZEDD Findings Floorpans took soo much work to fit, I was mildly ticked.

photo6.jpg

Mocked up Sentra front coilover, S14 arm + spindle - Time to order some HSD S13 coilovers and make some camber plates.

photo-1.jpg

Cleaned up drivers side front well tonight - 3 more nights of working like this and the car will be entirely primed :D

photo7.jpg

MOD LIST (Updated Apr 13/11)

ENGINE/TRANSMISSION

HAVE

- S14 KA24DE

- Fidanza 9lb KA flywheel (Sold)

- Z33 6MT Transmission w/ CNC VQ35 shifter linkage

- Garrett GT3076R 0.60 A/R Turbocharger (Sold)

- Brian Crower Cams Stage 2

- TII FC3S 550cc top mount injectors

- LS2 Coilpacks w/ Pigtails (Sold)

- Aeromotive A1000 Fuel Pump, Regulator, 100 micron filter, all black Nylon braided lines/AN fittings.

- Taurus 3.8 E-Fan

- HKS Turbo Timer

- Nissan Quest Alternator

- KA-E parts req'd for PS Delete.

- Q45 90mm Throttle body + tps

NEED

- Head port/polish work done by me, decked, tanked

- L20B FCW Crankshaft

- VQ35 Tranny adaptor CNC designed/milled by me

- Block bored to 90mm, decked, hottanked

- Pauter Rods for Ford 5.4 Modular Motor

- Wiseco 10.5CR 0.040 Oversize Pistons

- Gato Performance Intake Manifold ($$$ :()

- Ferrea overbore intake and exhaust valves

- Ferrea titanium dual spring/retainer

- AEM EMS w/ 72" race harness OR Haltech Platinum Sport 1000 OR Megasquirt III - Debating...

- Koyo/Mishimoto S14 Rad

- Cometic MLS HG

- KA Starter

- Turbo Mani & Downpipe of some kind - Probably Weirtech.

- Machine work - polish and bullnose crank

- Money

CHASSIS/SUSPENSION/BRAKES

HAVE

- R33 GTR Depowered Steering Rack

- S14 steering column

- S14 Front Subframe (Sandblasted)

- S14 FLCA, Spindles

- JDM S14 Swaybar

- JDM S14 TC Buckets

- S30 Front Subframe (Making S14 FLCA work with this, when JP gives it back :cool:)

- R34 GTR rear subframe w/ axles, multilink & 5 lug hubs

- Nismo GTR RLCA

- 3.538 Q45 VLSD, Z32TT Axle & big spline 5 Lug rear hubs.

NEED

- Z32 Rear Brake Setup (in the works from EvilTom)

- S14 front hubs with ARP Studs

- Custom 1 piece driveshaft

- STI/Evo 8 Brakes or GTR33 Brakes

- Tilton pedal setup with internally hung brake and clutch masters

- Poly bushing set

- Cage – Weld in with removable door bars because it’s still a street car.

- CNC Hydro Ebrake

- Money

EXTERIOR

HAVE

- OEM Hood, doors, hatch, all glass, trim and lights.

- ZEDD Findings Floor Kit

- ZEDD Findings Front Frame Rail Kit

NEED

- Fiberglass S30 "Superwide" ZG Flares (Needed the wides to tuck the +150mm track of the GTR subframe and +120mm track of S14 arms)

- Fabricate LED tails, HID headlights

- BRE Spoiler

- 17"x10 rear, 17x9 front CCW Classics

OR 16x10, 16x8 Diamonds

OR 15x10, 15x8 MT Classic II Blacks (I like this option)

- Paint - will be sprayed by me, GF bought me a sick paint setup :D love you.

- Money

INTERIOR

HAVE

- E36 Black M3 Dash, Glovebox, Centre console, trims (Gone)

- 72' 240Z Professionally Restored Dash

- S30 FG Dash first layer done, no longer using if someone wants it.

- NRG Evo Black Steering Wheel

NEED

- Recaro Seats

- E36 door panels to take a FG mold from, retrofitted to S30 door.

- Molded S30 Carpet

- Molded S30 Headliner

- Carputer setup w/ EMS control.

- Money

looks like a solid start to this project but i have to ask why the ka? just something you had around? i personally font get the logic in removing a 6 cyl and replacing it with 4 there is just so much room in an s30 you could put almost anything you want in it so why a 4 banger?

I had already planned out my full KA-T build in the S13, and then switched my chassis to S30. I had all kinds of KA parts already, as well as a plan and a sh!tload of KA knowledge lol so I figured why not..

Besides you can get a ton of torque and power out of the KA, fairly cheap, parts don't have to be sent over from Japanland, etc etc.

Up here in Canada I can get KA's for free, so it made sense to me. While I am building my "real" motor, I can toss in a stock KA and rip around while i come up with the $6K or so for my built turbo motor.

Besides, L-series parts are harder to come by up here. My junkyards are packed to the tits with sunflowers, crapaliers and hondas, not Z cars.

Thanks guys - the more I see ppl are interested, the more I tend to actually do shit.

Had an hour or so to work on er tonight..

Also had a package come in the mail. I <3 when that happens. Todays xmas present was a Q45 90mm throttle body+tps.

Couple of comparison shots with a stock KA ~60mm tb..

IMG_0582.jpg

IMG_0584.jpg

Bolted er up.

IMG_0586.jpg

Spun er right round.

IMG_0588.jpg

Cleaned some crap off.

IMG_0594.jpg

Primered er up.

IMG_0590.jpg

Including my freshly blasted subframe..

IMG_0592.jpg

Most productive hour of my day :D

For those who care. Thanks to help of DatzenMike about L20B information

Almost *THEORETICALLY* have it figured out how to rock a fully counterweighted crank in a KA block with KA piston.

Rod is out of a Ford 5.4 Modular Motor, longer rod than a KA by about 5mm. Bushings need to be drilled out or replaced, or the KA piston needs a 22mm pin instead of it's 21mm. Crankshaft is a L20B/Z20E/Z20S U60 casting.

The other options I have listed include a Toyota Celica 20R 90mm Piston with various rods that will work - LS1, Viper V10, Ford w/ Chevy Pin, but I would like to try it with the KA piston first.

Braaap.

BuildSheet.jpg

In due time, after some paychecks, I'll make this happen and post up how it is.

Had a few hours to work on the Z (I need a good name for her)..

Started with one of these..

IMG_0595.jpg

Drilled a crapload of holes..

IMG_0597.jpg

IMG_0596.jpg

Cleaned the bish.

IMG_0607.jpg

IMG_0603.jpg

Primed a bit

IMG_0611.jpg

IMG_0609.jpg

Also, bought one of these to complete my modernized suspension - JDM S14 swaybar 27mm w/ JDM S14 TC brackets. Also doubles as a rad mount and I can now order S14 sizes with install ease.. Not bad for $45 lol.

IMG_0605.jpg

Might work on er again tonight and see how far I gets :D

• 5 months later...

Sorry for the delay boys..

My co-op term ended so I took the gf to Santa Maria, Cuba to celebrate. Things got silly and we had drinking team tshirts made up for the group lol.

CayoSantaMaria.jpg

222991_10150183598915747_504280746_6932994_4376190_n.jpg

Did a bit more cleaning up on the underside the day I got back.

IMG_0615.jpg

IMG_0613.jpg

Started on the passenger side.

IMG_0627.jpg

IMG_0629.jpg

Made plans to have some guys come over and get both floors done on Monday night. Monday morning on the way to work going about 80 clicks down a street, this happened. I had to countersteer and the jeep was on about a 20 degree angle while going straight down the road. Scary shit.

IMG_0643.jpg

IMG_0647.jpg

Insurance doesn't cover mechanical failures. Ghey. Tuesday morning picked this up from my buddy JP for a good deal - should be a fairly sick daily.

DSC_0117.jpg

DSC_0120-2.jpg

2002 Sentra SE-R Spec V

6 speed, LSD, bunch of new shit.

Ksport Kontrol pro coilovers. Height and preload adjustable, and 32 way dampening adjustable, with camber plates with pillow ball mounts.

Jim Wolf balance shaft removal kit

Stillen Intake

XS-Power header

BC cams

Rota slipstream wheels, with 225/45/16 kdws on the back (90% tread) and 215/45/16 rt 615's on the front

Nismo lower tie bar

Kenwood deck with Ipod

OEM nissan roof racks with back rack, and snowboard attachments

Magnaflow catback exhaust

Vibrant flat black muffler

Exams are almost done so I got antsy.. ZEDD Findings Floorpans took soo much work to fit, I was mildly ticked.

photo6.jpg

Mocked up Sentra front coilover, S14 arm + spindle - Time to order some HSD S13 coilovers and make some camber plates.

photo-1.jpg

Cleaned up drivers side front well tonight - 3 more nights of working like this and the car will be entirely primed :D

photo7.jpg

yeah i get that im just thinking that if i was going to start an s30 a ka would not be my engine of choice lol but since you already had it all that makes sense

one thing you can do with the ka is drift. you get the torque you get with a strait 6 with out the weight of the l28. and like he said, parts come by easily. personally im tryin to get a ca18de...drift for days with that motor

• 2 months later...

Got to cuttin and cleanin last night, got some fittin and weldin tonight.

photo2-1.jpg

Car is going to Adam's place Thursday night to start work on the frame rails, R34 subframe mount, camber plates and possibly a cage, so I got the entire car primed. Floors are only tacked in as they are coming back out to weld in the rear subframe mounts.

IMG-20111024-00110.jpg

Woohoo - best update so far :D She's in Barrie for the next while getting shit done.

IMG-20111027-00113.jpg

Been super excited to get the Z back from Adam so I thought I'd try my hand at Photochop.

Never used any sort of image editing software and this was done on free Paint.net program so it's by no means good but it's a decent idea what I'm going for..

16516106-Copy.jpg

Going up on Wednesday so I'll snap some pics of updates..

Also, how the car was about a month ago for comparison..

2c25acc0.jpg