CopyDat's CA18 520 '68

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

anyone help me out locating a new 520 drag link? my one is bent and been totally abused (drilled in to joints!) Need a replacement and will pay shipping to AUS.

Had a quick look on Rockauto and couldn't find anything - any help appreciated.

Thanks.

OK, I looked and could not find the 520 centerlink, maybe you could measure yours, and I can go out and measure my 71 521 centerlink.

measure from the tierod center to center on the centerlink, or measure from where the threads stop on each end and the shaft becomes smooth.

EDIT

My 71 Datsun 521 centerlink shaft measurement between the threads is 12 1/4 inches(31 CM).

• Like 1

I cannot accurately measure mine from tierod end to tierod end because I had a custom centerlink made with a tierod hole, I used the stock centerlink from the pitman arm to the tierod connection, but I changed the length to fit my application.

Here is a photo of my stock centerlink connected to my custom centerlink, I have power steering.

100_0154.JPG

• Like 1

thanks wayno

no point measuring as this one is bent and custom fitted hence the tierods being drilled :S 

I'll look into getting that Moogs one.

Cheers!

You can straighten it enough to measure it, I did.

The first centerlink I made when I made my power steering setup got the shit bent out of it the first time I turned the wheel, so I made a ladder type centerlink and used that till the custom one was made, my ladder centerlink broke a few blocks from home less than a week after my new custom one was delivered to me, lucky me, as it took hours to make that freaking thing the first time.

• Like 1

Just got my hands on the new tie rod and will take it out to see if it fits next week. 

I've got a question... I want to run a standard s13 radiator - bought a new one and it's super thin but the overall size of it is quite big... Has anyone mounted one of these in a 520/521 engine bay previously and could throw up a pic? I also want to run the intercooler behind the front grill that isn't such a big deal. 
T2eC16FHJIIE9qTYI45WBQK06qjrQ60_35.jpg

photo1-3.jpg

photo2-3.jpg

Cheers! 

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...

So turns out that this Pulsar N16 radiator is WAY too big for the front of the 520. I'm going to try and use the old Alfa one that was in it with the L series and whack some fans on it.... Otherwise it's $800+ for a custom PWR job or something. I don't want to modify the front at all. Needs to be sleeper.

My builder made a collapsible column which I'm pretty happy with and I've already decided on what seats I'm running. The way these seats were described to me was "they will hug you tighter than a desperate ex-girlfriend!" 

photo44.jpgphoto16.jpgphoto36.jpgphoto26.jpgphoto43-1.jpgphoto53-1.jpgphoto25.jpgphoto35.jpgphoto15.jpg

• Like 3
  • 2 months later...

bought a Hyundai Senata boss kit - McKinnon (my fabricator) strips it back, takes off all the black plastic crap and exposes the aluminium hub. Then machines it! Wow - I'm pretty happy with that! 

I'm going to running a KKR suede steering wheel (350mm). Eventually I'll have a quick release boss. Good for racing, getting in and out of the truck and also ectra security measure.  

IMG_5707.jpgIMG_5708.jpgIMG_5709.jpg

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

should realise by now how slow burning this is. 

Today, that front apron was under attack. I'm the 3rd owner of this truck. Story goes, previous owner was a fruitier & use to carry crates of oranges and the like in the tub from farm in to town. On the way home from the pub one afternoon, he gets into a bit of mischief and puts it into a fence. Completely crumples the front apron and spills crates and crates of oranges everywhere......

The thing was 90% bog..... so it had to go unfortunately. 

2nt9if.jpg

349f6g8.jpg

219q3r4.jpg

Funny thing was the body mount was twisted around about 45 degrees. 

Also managed to pick up one of those Hako front chin spoilers from a contact in Japan over a year ago (was also hassling him and waiting about a year before he sold me one). Very good quality and not too expensive. Having the front apron removed there is a huge gap between where the apron was and where the chin needs to attach - makes sense. Still had it flipped over to see what it looked like upside down haha. Massive buck tooth look going on that way round... Not the look I'm going for. 

292y1qr.jpg

2449k49.jpg

2lkzcsh.jpg

2w3b811.jpg

Those are also my custom PWR cooler and radiator. : )

2mfhfn9.jpg

• Like 2