CopyDat's CA18 520 '68

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Had such a fuck-around with these front wheel bearings...... First had the wrong ones supplied to me and then again the wrong ones given to me again - the second time I was matching everything, doing it all properly, making sure the race, the bearings etc were all the same diameter and width etc....... There was a slight change in the bearing coupling tho and I put this done to it being a 'new' style of bearing and didn't think to try it over the hub shaft before packing it full of grease! Doesn't bloody fit does it! So now I don't know if the shop will take it back as is, at closer inspection these are totally the wrong bearings..... I didn't think to look twice as I'd already been given the wrongs ones to start with... Please learn from this stupid lesson - always double check shit even before you leave the store or even pay for the items. These bearings aren't cheap ones either....

bearings2.jpg

bearings1.jpg

bearings3.jpg

bearings4.jpg

bearings5.jpg

Check the caliper mount.

Time to look for an upgrade on the whole spindle.

This thread might have some information for you -> http://nzdatsun.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=421

Been a while since I read it, but I believe he used Navara spindles (just can't recall if he changed the chassis or not. Better off putting some effort to replace all that old shit that can't be sourced easily anymore.

• 3 weeks later...

New South Wales welcomes another Datto from interstate.... finally got this thru all the bureacratic bullshit, took 3 visits to the roads and traffic association to get the registration! Massive hoops to jump thru and it isn't even registered as the correct vehicle.... You can't argue with them though, they will just power trip you and knock you back on something else.... So my drive is now a Datsun 1968 '1600' ute!.... At least I have all the correct details and copies of everything including road worthy certificate and matching chassis and engine numbers!

So, new plates! I've heard the offset gives you that much needed 10 hp at the wheels... LOL but I'm gunna stick with centre placement for now. Maybe once turbs, locker, suspension upgrade and lower I'll put the cop magnet offset number plate! ;)

Oh, btw... getting this beast rego'd with the existing L in it is a huge win! locals will appreciate the effort.....

IMG_1121.jpg

IMG_1122.jpg

Things I had to fix included the antique idler arm and tie rod(300 odd bucks and I order a 620 replacement one from the states for like 90 bucks as a spare now...) 3 oil leaks, diff, trans and sump. Front wheel bearings. Had to make some 'homemade flares' to cover the offset wheels up front. Check it out, went to a rubber shop, got some door trim with a rubber strap, glued it together and no need for drilling holes or adhesives on the guards, it simply pushes on and pulls off. Rock solid as the rubber has a groove and thin metal on the inside of the rubber lip to grip to the guard lip. I hate the look but it got past rego inspection! :D:D:D

IMG_1125.jpg

IMG_1126.jpg

IMG_1127.jpg

You could say I was pretty happy with that as I didn't have enough money to get proper flares nor did I need massive flares as my rims aren't that crazy.... All up cost me $30, 15 a side!

I went to a 'Festival of Speed' on the weekend. I'm really into racing and historic racing at that. I'm seriously thinking about competing next year. For those interested here are some pics I took with my phone while out there.

852.jpg

258.jpg

159.jpg

951.jpg

687.jpg

65.jpg

465.jpg

321.jpg

333.jpg

• Like 1

Did I mention it was a cracker day?!?! :)

14.jpg

5464.jpg

355.jpg

87.jpg

548.jpg

Just for those who don't know what they are looking at...... these bikes are the same vintage as most of our Datsuns and would have been tearing up the streets back in the day! :D

• 2 months later...

Slupdate.

Murder style bonnet and mirrors (matte black rattle can job) - nothing and I MEAN nothing has been progressing with the Dat, turbs engine etc due to my wife and I splitting up about 2 and a bit months ago. So yeah, heavy times.

Bonnet.jpg

Bonnet1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I've only now... just found the Ratsun.net open FB group.... 

back from the dead - the hulk is still getting worked on.... this has been a marathon and we aren't even close to the end goal. So great to have some progress finally. Check it out - 

IMG_1879.jpg

IMG_1789.jpg

IMG_1794.jpg

IMG_1790.jpg

IMG_1850.jpg

unnamed.jpg

• Like 3

Had such a fuck-around with these front wheel bearings...... First had the wrong ones supplied to me and then again the wrong ones given to me again - the second time I was matching everything, doing it all properly, making sure the race, the bearings etc were all the same diameter and width etc....... There was a slight change in the bearing coupling tho and I put this done to it being a 'new' style of bearing and didn't think to try it over the hub shaft before packing it full of grease! Doesn't bloody fit does it! So now I don't know if the shop will take it back as is, at closer inspection these are totally the wrong bearings..... I didn't think to look twice as I'd already been given the wrongs ones to start with... Please learn from this stupid lesson - always double check shit even before you leave the store or even pay for the items. These bearings aren't cheap ones either....

bearings2.jpg

bearings1.jpg

bearings3.jpg

bearings4.jpg

bearings5.jpg

Check the caliper mount.

Contact Mike Klotz on here.  He makes an adapter that allows the use of the 620 inner bearing on the 520 521 spindle.  They are reasonable to buy from Mike.