Heads up about ebay seller reddat & his "NOS" parts on ebay

Dude, before you start calling people noobs you should read the OP and realize this thread is/was not about prices, shipping or otherwise. It was purely about product and the misrepresentation thereof, which certainly could be called bait & switch since he is advertising as NOS and sending aftermarket.

I thin the "noob" was as in Datsunoob, the person he was replying to.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just in case some didn't know,

eBay charges a percentage of the final price but not including shipping, which is going to change next month.

Thats why you see an auction starting at .99 with $100 shipping.

As a buyer you need to pay attention to the total.

I have done this to avoid paying ebay through the roof on the final price and it still doesn't make sense for me. but thats just me

I've been telling people this for years. Some just dont get it.

Some examples of things redat has sold or tries to sell that ain't right is--

521 gas pedal pad. 521's never came with gas pedal pads.

521 front hood rubber bumpers. The 2 rears are the triangle and the 2 front are square. the triangle style don't go on the front. But thats how he sells them.

And whoever is selling those damn cheap $10 521 shift boots are wrong too. The bottom fits fine but the top for the shifter shaft has the hole wayyyy too wide. I bought one and gave it away to kyle123??? which was still way better than what he had on his.

Actually I see A but load of misrepresented datsun stuff on there. Some is ignorance some is scam.

Oh yeah btw the 521 window crank repops aren't that great. The hood emblems are a great repo and price.

Guest DatsuNoob

Dude. It's totally bait and switch if they advertise something as NOS and you end up with a Taiwanese knockoff reproduction part. Whatever, call it what you like if you're into semantics, it's still fucked.

OK, as Mike said, NOS is something that is new that was never sold before. It could be an absolute piece of shit, but, it can still be NOS.

OEM, Original Equipment Manufactur is what you seek and it can only mean that. If someone is selling bootleg shit under the OEM banner, then you have a problem. And technically, most of the stuff that is sold on ebay, especially taiwan, thailand or anything from a country starting with a T, is most likely Bootleg stuff.

Selling stuff as NOS, OEM and JDM seems to be a big problem on ebay as the sellers use it to catch folks doing searches for legit items.

As always, Caveat Emptor!

OK, as Mike said, NOS is something that is new that was never sold before. It could be an absolute piece of shit, but, it can still be NOS.

To be clear, yes NOS can be anything unused and not sold before. I was mainly concerned with stuff that is sold as Nissan NOS. In this case it can only be a Nissan part made by them or by one of their manufacturers (at the time) and subject to all their quality controls. When Nissan made parts, say an alternator for a '78 620, extras are also made for dealer replacements. These replacement alternators would become future Nissan NOS sitting on a warehouse shelf somewhere. ANY other alternator made or rebuilt later, can only at best claim 'OEM quality' or 'meets OEM Specs' and in no way can it be sold as Nissan NOS. This is the way I see it anyway.

There is way too much junk out there being sold as NOS/OEM/JDM and it's time people started asking questions and demanding accountability for such claims.

If anything is sold here as 'Nissan NOS' you had better be able to document it. A bill of sale from a Nissan dealer or parts in their original package. Even so evything should be viewed with some skepticism, which is too bad really. It's not the fault of honest sellers that other dishonest people have tarnished the NOS term. There are sellers here that throw that term around for reconditioned parts just sothey can charge primo prices..

Ill sell you my 510 front windshield seal, california style. i got it for 80 shipped. Ill sell it to you for one hundred thousand, 50 dollars and 12 cents, plus 300 for shipping. NOS (technically, it is new old stock, its new, its for an old car, and it was in stock when i bought it...)

There, now that you have my ad. Does that make it right to overcharge? I saw a 510 part in canada on ebay, dual SU carbs. Guy is charging 125 dollars for shipping. I just shipped some dual SU's to california for less than 20 dollars.

I just shipped a 12 ounce package to canada and it cost $20.19 so $125 for SU's is not out of the question. he has a low starting bid on that set too.

• 3 weeks later...

Dude. It's totally bait and switch if they advertise something as NOS and you end up with a Taiwanese knockoff reproduction part. Whatever, call it what you like if you're into semantics, it's still fucked.

But is it bait and switch or lying outright?

Agreed, it is "fucked"