A-series 5-sp Questions

Pumpkn210

I have a 79 210 with an A12 and a 4-sp. I would like to get a 5-sp but I DONT want a dog-leg. I have been looking at Pull-A-Part and want to know if there is a easy way to find out if the trannys I am looking at are dog-leg or not. There is a fiew and none of them have shift nobs on them so that idea is out the window.

Thanks

Dave

"Pumpkn Operator"

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

See now Being from a MOPAR family, I like torque! My only questions are:

How mutch lower is the redline? I can easily take my stock A12 over 6000! Where it looses power.

Can anything be done about the redline? i.e. Valve Springs.

How mutch power can I add by say shaving the head, lumpy cam, valve springs, Port and Pollish, Bigger pistons, Weber and maby a better flowing intake?

You see, I like the A series engines and I am not sure why. Maby my obsession with the 210 goes deeper than I thought!

Guest DatsuNoob
See now Being from a MOPAR family, I like torque! My only questions are:

How mutch lower is the redline? I can easily take my stock A12 over 6000! Where it looses power.

Can anything be done about the redline? i.e. Valve Springs.

How mutch power can I add by say shaving the head, lumpy cam, valve springs, Port and Pollish, Bigger pistons, Weber and maby a better flowing intake?

You see, I like the A series engines and I am not sure why. Maby my obsession with the 210 goes deeper than I thought!

Dude, I see A14 upgrade parts all the time on ebay. They must be pretty good, or atleast some kind of demand for them if performance parts are readily available. I say get another A14 to build on and maybe later try to blow up the one you got now :D ....or not, but I say in the interest of being different, why not build up an A series instead of an L series? It could be cool (for a sewing machine motor) j/k bro :lol:

You know noob Ive been thinking the same thing. I was told that the A14 was the motor to do an A series with but I like the torque. If I can build an A15 with the same HP and more torque I would like that. I would also like to Hide a 50-75HP NOS kit on it for added fun. I guess the best thing to do would be to post in the engine section for more info on this one.

Yes, the A15 has the same HP and more torque, if outfitted the same. They purposely detuned the A15 for the street.

A15 stock bottom end will rev to 8500 RPM, if you get the right valve springs. Here's the picture to prove it:

2028.jpg

Well at least it proves it will do 7,750 RPM :-)

And it's true it won't rev as high as an A14 ... which can rev oh maybe 300 RPM higher than an A15 before a piston breaks.

It may be a whyle till I get around to buying crap for it as I dont have alot of disposable income. I will probibly end up buying an engine fairly soon to dissasemble and work on.

I looked on flebay and only found a fiew overpriced engine parts. So where do I find said valve springs? And should I look around for forged pistons and other internal whatnots?

Why buy and engine and tear it apart? There are many A15s that are perfectly fine...

Damn....wish you hadn't said that. Now I've got a new project thought started when I should concentrate on completing the existing projects. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! :cursing:

Why buy and engine and tear it apart? There are many A15s that are perfectly fine...

My reasoning is I would rather do a little bottom end work now rather than have to get another block after a meltdown or other mishap. And I have to buy an engine anyway cause mine is the A12.

As I have said before I want to put a hidden 50-75hp NOS kit on it and it just makes good sense to build all of a race engine rather than half of one. That is why I asked about pistons and other internal whatnots.

I personally like using an A15 bottom end with an earlier A14 head. The A15 heads have too much smog crap on them. The A14/A15 combo and a nice cam makes a great motor for a 1200. For a 210... You are pulling around a little more weight. ;)

Yes, the A15 has the same HP and more torque, if outfitted the same. They purposely detuned the A15 for the street.

A15 stock bottom end will rev to 8500 RPM, if you get the right valve springs. Here's the picture to prove it:

2028.jpg

I scaled the car a couple months ago and it weighs a ton. Im going to put it on a diet but I still want a full interior car. And even if it still weighs 2000lb, with 200hp (with NOS) it has a good ratio. I have heard that you can get 150hp out of the A series without too mutch problem and if I do it right it could take a 75-100 shot. Thats even better!

Yea after some research and found out how expensive it is to build an A-series rat motor. I am sure it will be worth it.

Oh yea, on a side note. Are you gonna sell me those 12in slots? I heard that you were thinking about selling them, and I want them in a bad way! I have been looking for some tires like those and am having no luck:(

• 3 weeks later...