1978 Datsun 510 41k original miles

ARS14

Went and picked up my new 510 on Wednesday. It had 41,203 original miles. I've got all the paperwork/receipts on it since 1978. Car came to Arkansas from California. I'm the 2nd owner. Only plans right now are to remove the vinyl top, repaint the car orange, paint the two black BRE style stripes on the sides and put some 15x8 Rota Grid V Gunmetal with a 3" polished lip on some stretched rubber. Go ahead and let me hear your opinions/thoughts. I honestly appreciate the input and I'll take it all into consideration. Thanks and I'm glad I can share my find with you guys, Chris.

DatsunFrontPassengerQuarter.jpg

DatsunEngineBay.jpg

DatsunEngineBlock.jpg

DatsunSpeedometerOdometer.jpg

DatsunDash.jpg

DatsunDriverDoorPanel.jpg

DatsunOwnersManual.jpg

And here's the link to my Photobucket if you want to look at some more of the miscellaneous photos.

http://s150.photobucket.com/albums/s81/chris_johnson83/1978%20Datsun%20510/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the first year HLs, I think it's the well remembered round headlights. I see it's a automatic.... these cars always seem to be better survivors than the standards. I also see that the dip stick is to the front which is odd. (just checked.. normal for your motor)

I can't find any info on an optional vinyl roof (it was an option on the older PL510s) so I would keep it. I find it compliments the black tire and gives overall balance to the paint color and black interior. If adding BRE stripes even better!

Yes and no. I worked in GM when the Landau tops were popular. I worked in the spray booths and would set a switch for the automatic over head sprayers. If it was a regular painted roof it got a full coverage of primer. If a Landau top only the part not covered by the vinyl was sprayed. They were so cheap that to save a buck on primer there was only bare metal under the vinyl Landau roof!!! I doubt there are many of these cars that survived to this day.

6A488B23E76D707E6B98EC36AC.jpg

It's possible that the Japanese actually painted the roofs before adding the vinyl roof... in which case it will last forever. One of the reasons for the failure of the big 3.

I'm fairly well set on removing the vinyl top, painting it orange to match the rest of the car, and then doing the black stripes. I don't really feel like I'm defacing the car seeing as how everything I have planned were dealer options anyway. Besides the Rota's haha :D

If it comes off in one piece mail it to me lol I'll pay shipping if it's not putty knifed to death. Ha would glue strait onto mine. I'm rocking the black and tan with woodgrain and chrome for that one. These cars will go forever and go anywhere you point them. I the tops gettin trashed I call dibs. I think they look awsum especcially with the slammed stock wheels and hub caps. Like old Cuban guy smoking cigars cool

If it comes off in one piece mail it to me lol I'll pay shipping if it's not putty knifed to death. Ha would glue strait onto mine. I'm rocking the black and tan with woodgrain and chrome for that one. These cars will go forever and go anywhere you point them. I the tops gettin trashed I call dibs. I think they look awsum especcially with the slammed stock wheels and hub caps. Like old Cuban guy smoking cigars cool

lol, I've already made an attempt at removing it and it's NOT coming off in one piece unfortunately :( too much sun over the past 33 years I suppose.

Dang :( Time to get out the ol rattle cans

Try a spray on truck bed liner. It's textured so from a distance it will look like a vinyl top instead of laying down flat and smooth like regular paint would :cool:

Try a spray on truck bed liner. It's textured so from a distance it will look like a vinyl top instead of laying down flat and smooth like regular paint would :cool:

good plan! plus i plan on throwing snowboard/kayak/other stuff on the roof. it'll be the adventure rig for this summer lol

Start replacing seals & gaskets,cause if they're not leaking now,they will be shortly.

idk, I've been under this on my lift already and been checking everything out and all the seals on the engine, trans, and rear end are still fresh. No cracking or even fade to them. They were all still soft and porous. I'm assuming that's because when it wasn't being driven it was always parked in a garage or closed up in the barn. According to the previous owners they said, and I quote, "Yeah man, this car has never even been rained on. The only water it's ever seen is when it was being washed." The undercarriage supports it too, there is absolutely NO dirt, grime, oil, grease, or road residue on the bottom of this thing. You can still see clean, dull but clean, orange paint on the underside and there is ZERO rust. If I can remember I'll take photos the next time I put it on my lift. I kinda hate to but instead of giving it a full once over at 60k miles I will most likely just drop a fresh built KA24DET or an SR20DET into it. May even consider a CA18DET if I can find one lol. I don't know how much of a hassle it will be to go from Auto to Manual but I'm sure it won't be too difficult. Another thing I had meant to ask you guys about is suspension and brakes. What can I do to get this thing to sit lower, without cutting the springs lol, and corner better? Also what can I do to add some stopping power to it such as rear disc upgrade? I'm going to 15" wheels so I should be able to clear any kind of rear disc swap.

*Rota Grid V* I was planning on a set of these in 15x7 with a 1.5" lip and 20mm offset. Should I go for a staggered look by getting a 15x8 with a 2.5" lip in the rear or would a 15x8 be too wide on this car? Is a 15 too large? Or would it be about perfect since I'm planning on lowering it anyway and it will help fill in some wheel gap?

RotaGrid.jpg

Needs a bumper swap. :cool:

Assorted033b.jpg

I agree!!! So what year cars can I pull that bumper from? Can I use my current bumper brackets? Can I buy just the bumpers or will I need to pull them off a parts car?

I agree!!! So what year cars can I pull that bumper from? Can I use my current bumper brackets? Can I buy just the bumpers or will I need to pull them off a parts car?

They were never sold in the US, so they'll need to be sourced from Australia. Fortunately the Stanzas (what it was called down there) aren't highly prized and are somewhat common. Should be able to get some fairly cheap. ;)

I would post up a WTB ad on Ozdat (http://ozdat.com/forum/) or Datnet (http://datnet.org/forums.html) looking for Stanza bumpers. :cool:

So I had a buddy do a quick photoshop for me so you guys could get an actual visual of what I plan to do with this thing. Only thing not in the photoshop is a set of flares and I already pulled all the siding off since it's not original but I hadn't got a picture yet so that's why it's still on there in the photo. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks, Chris.

DatsunPhotoshop.jpg