DMV help..

doughboi916

registering help.. well here it is... my dimes almost done with the KA-T swap.. i had it in the garage for 4 -5 years and when i first bought it i went in halfs with my cousin who kept the title.... he now doesn't want anything to do with it... so i said fair enough.. let me have the title so i can register it.. he said O I LOST IT.... wtf do i do know..ahahah so pissed... he told me the whole time he had it and non oped it now he lost the title and tells me he doesn't know if it was non op... last time it was registered according to the License plate was 03??? ive been told after 7 years it should be cleared from the system so ill be ok?? IDK?? i have no way of getting in touch with the dude i bought it off?? What do i do?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on where you're located. You could be totally screwed. I had one car that I was traded for some work, and the dude couldn't ever "find" the title. He was in Cali, and I was in AZ. Ended up parting the car out.

Had another instance where we bought a car, and again, the owner couldn't find the title, or maybe he never had it. Couldn't get one for that car either, and sold it as is.

Had a motorcycle that we got for free, and WAS able to get a title, after getting it inspected, cleared for not being stolen, and then paid $100 bond.

I'd guess that at a minimum you'll have to do the later. But it can be tricky, because depending on location, if you do a bond the DMV may want things like a notarized letter from the PO....which you can't get now. So good luck with it.

The moral here folks, is to never do ANY work on a car until you have a title in your name.

I had a lost title for my mercedes. From out of state. Drove to Washington, applied for lost title. Got the title in my name in washington. (bill of sale allowed them to do it directly). then simply transfered the title to oregon.

You can go to the DMV and get a form from them to have it re-registered. In most states, it requires that a police officer comes out and runs through the car and runs the vin to confirm it's not stollen. Few marks on the paper and DONE!

I had it on my '73 Honda and it took just a few minuets. Hell, I even had the 1976 plate on it. He ran the vin, plate etc and NOTHING came back. He said they couldn't even find it ever being registered in the state unsure.gif I was cleared though and when I sold the bike, the paper for the DMV went with it.

I would call around,,, and see the difference between "lost title" ..... and "I just bought this car from my cousin"

My biggest concern would be the Vehicle inspection to check Vin numbers ......... .. because a KA24DET doesn't look like a stock 510 motor ......... :unsure:

because a KA24DET doesn't look like a stock 510 motor ......... :unsure:

it can ;)

hes not a ref checking the engine, he just verifies the digits! but then again...

IF you get a cool CHP guy, he'll just check the firewall/dash VIN, AFTER you have the replacement pink transferred to your name... then you back to the DMV, again... if it checks out.