Now it won't start

So I finished my first valve adjustment today. The whole time, I had been using the starter to turn the cam, and when I tried to start the car up, it went "click, hummm." 2nd try, it cranked a bit and stopped, humm. It cranks slowly then eventually ends up making the humming noise. I was thinking I had burned out my starter, since I had been experiencing problems starting even before, but I just learned that I'm supposed to ground the high tension lead from the dizzy to the coil, not just leave it disconnected (I'm such a noob).

So I'm worried it may also be the ignition coil, as that would also cause it not to start (right?). This is also consistent with the terribly rich condition my engine runs in. My volt gauge will climb and look okay when i turn the key, then when I turn to start, it will drop all the way down to zero. Please help, I have deadlines to reach, and this is a major setback. Everything is appreciated, thanks!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't need to ground the coil, just disconnect the output wire so the car won't start when bumping it.

Battery is likely poor shape if it was drained from a few bumps, you said you had problems before.

Get a boost , it will start. Have it (battery) tested with a load on it.

Yeah, Ratsun's great, thanks for not flaming me for my noobness :D

One more question.. my headlights dim and brighten strangely. It is more noticeably dim when I step on the brake, and it gets brighter when I step on the gas. The volt gauge is kind of shaky at about 14 or so. Is this something about the alternator? I know that it's driven by the engine so that's why I think so. You guys think this is normal, or is this something I should pursue?