521 stereo

jon521

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My parts 521 came with an empty stock radio hole in the dash, a factory speaker, and a package tray.

My project truck came with no speaker but it does have a single din radio.

The coolest retro part (if you wanna call it that) is the fact that the single din radio is an 8-track.

I don't have any 8-track cassettes to try but it does light up when I feed it power.

I have to wire it to thespeaker yet to see if the radio itself will work.

• 4 months later...

so bringing up an old topic, a topic i started awhile ago, could someone plz post a pic of a stock radio in a 521? ive been looking in JYs for a radio but havent been able to find the right one. the radio should ccome with a face right? because some of the other radios ive tried, they fit the hole, but it looks like its missing a face piece. pics help! thanks in advanced :D

This is a TERRIBLE pic, but it was the best I could find during lunch break on google images. I will try to post one up tonight if someone doesn't beat me to it:

0704mt_05_z+1968_datsun_521+original_stereo.jpg

Also, are you going to be using a stock single speaker or are you going to amp it to two speakers?

Currently I am designing a discreet interface/amp to a single speaker with a MP3 player Aux jack.

The original radio was designed to push an old ~6" 8 ohm speaker rated at a few watts. Oddly, it has been much more work finding all the equipment to drive a newer single 4 ohm speaker than just cutting holes and making it stereo. I originally was just going to find a small mono amp that could push about 50W RMS. It seems they don't really make small mono amps anymore, probably because everyone uses mono amps to drive a single sub. And I don't really want to get a stereo amp and use just one channel. Just doesn't seem right. I want something small and compact. Easy to hide.

I guess it depends on your goals. I wanted to maintain it completely stock looking but intergrate a more powerful updated speaker and add in an MP3 player input.

This is a TERRIBLE pic, but it was the best I could find during lunch break on google images. I will try to post one up tonight if someone doesn't beat me to it:

0704mt_05_z+1968_datsun_521+original_stereo.jpg

Also, are you going to be using a stock single speaker or are you going to amp it to two speakers?

Currently I am designing a discreet interface/amp to a single speaker with a MP3 player Aux jack.

The original radio was designed to push an old ~6" 8 ohm speaker rated at a few watts. Oddly, it has been much more work finding all the equipment to drive a newer single 4 ohm speaker than just cutting holes and making it stereo. I originally was just going to find a small mono amp that could push about 50W RMS. It seems they don't really make small mono amps anymore, probably because everyone uses mono amps to drive a single sub. And I don't really want to get a stereo amp and use just one channel. Just doesn't seem right. I want something small and compact. Easy to hide.

I guess it depends on your goals. I wanted to maintain it completely stock looking but intergrate a more powerful updated speaker and add in an MP3 player input.

that is exactly what i want to do. i want to stock look with a hidden, but good sound system. i have the stock speaker and stock speaker box, i am thinking about getting new speaker in the stock speaker box, then another speaker either under the dash on the driver side, or behind the seat. i do not want to cut up my interior, so i am not going to put speakers in the doors or the kick panels. i have an 8" sub in a wedge box for behind the passenger seat, and a 4 channel premier amp i am going to put behind the drivers seat. i also have a kenwood deck that i think im going to seat in the package tray, or in some other hidden location. if i dont use the kenwood deck i am just going to run an aux jack from the amp to my mp3. but i am not going to cut up my dash or door panels.

Let me try to track down that radio in our garage tonight and get a proper photo of it (or maybe Brodster will since he seems motivated now). I have the metal plate over the plastic one, so it's actually not a totally appropriate photo for you :blush:

that is exactly what i want to do. i want to stock look with a hidden, but good sound system. i have the stock speaker and stock speaker box, i am thinking about getting new speaker in the stock speaker box, then another speaker either under the dash on the driver side, or behind the seat. i do not want to cut up my interior, so i am not going to put speakers in the doors or the kick panels. i have an 8" sub in a wedge box for behind the passenger seat, and a 4 channel premier amp i am going to put behind the drivers seat. i also have a kenwood deck that i think im going to seat in the package tray, or in some other hidden location. if i dont use the kenwood deck i am just going to run an aux jack from the amp to my mp3. but i am not going to cut up my dash or door panels.

Check these out.. not cheap but definately fit the bill.. cool retro look and no dash cutting in most cases.

http://www.retrosoundusa.com/?gclid=CMKw_LjfyKoCFQ6AgwodzX7Qzw

I've seen and heard these and they are nice. Just another option for ya..

So here's a more correct photo of it, with the metal & plastic plates in proper order..... but the knobs are buried in a box, so this will have to suffice ;)

DSC_4537.jpg

aahhh that would look so sick in my truck! i need to go the junk yard again.....

mong, ive never seen one like that before (obviously, because its rare), but it looks like it doesnt fit right because of the gap at the top?

str8_69, those would be pretty sweet, but also quite out of my price range :blink:

Notice how high the holes are, I just wasn't able to get it in, it sat too high. And sorry about the thread jack, lol.

100_0049.jpg

Went and snapped a pic of it trying to be installed. I mean it just looks like someone hacked it up in general.

100_0051.jpg