Matt's 521

thisismatt

6cx3ik.jpg.5db91b440248d0df5d8e03a396b9598e.jpg

Not 521 (1200 actually), but similar enough

IMG_20220417_202318176_copy_1280x960.thumb.jpg.1af31b23b44b1e796b0cc4d2831031a8.jpg

My life is kind of a shambles right now, so nothing to report on the 521 except that every time I let it sit for a while the brakes lose pressure 🤦‍♂️

Edited by thisismatt
  • Like 3
  • Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Install a 2 psi residual valve in the brake line. It will keep the wheel cylinders slightly pressurized so the lip seals are pushed tight against the pistons, not allowing them to relax and suck air. I read about this many years ago and tried it on my 320 pickup and it worked.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Install a 2 psi residual valve in the brake line. It will keep the wheel cylinders slightly pressurized so the lip seals are pushed tight against the pistons, not allowing them to relax and suck air. I read about this many years ago and tried it on my 320 pickup and it worked.

But why do that when I can just do a four wheel brake bleed every few months?! 😂😬😭

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I know you're kidding, but here's an answer that might satisfy you. When wheel cylinders suck air, they also suck moisture which can pollute the wheels cylinders and start corrosion, which will eventually gunk up inside the cylinder and cause them to fail.

Yeah, was joking, but also hard to work on it right now. Are there piggyback residual valves with the correct fittings to drop right in, or is flaring at least one new tube always required?

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...