Matt's 521

thisismatt

Our landlord decided not to continue our lease, so due to housing prices and the choices we've made as a family (stay at home parent + homeschooling), we've decided to leave California and move to the Midwest where my in-laws are. Apparently, I should have rented the bigger truck for all my Datsun related shenanigans. I guess I'll be making another trip some time...🤷‍♂️

IMG_20210621_204023.jpg

• Like 5
  • Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Hey Matt, good move. I guess that works on at least two levels. The more I hear about California the less chance I would ever even visit the place.

Yeah. I'm sad to go but honestly not really even sure why aside from family. The property in the pic is my mom's and it's free & clear, but we personally couldn't hang with the housing climate without sacrificing ideals for our family. At least now we should be able to buy a place with a lot more space and I might actually be able to work on my truck.

• Like 2

Open the tail gate on your 521 and stuff the bed with parts.  Also fill the cab with parts.   Never travel with an empty bed or cab.

Where in the Midwest are you going to land?

If you come through Southwest Phoenix hit me up I probably have more 521 parts we can stuff if your trucks.

Edited by Charlie69
  • Like 1

Housing is absolutely insane right now. I actually have an appraiser coming today for a refi and I suspect my property to be half a mil. That’s 73% more than 4 years ago!

Prices in CA are absurd. I don’t know how anyone does it.

Edited by mainer311
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

half a mill is a white trash house in Seattle.  East coast is actually cheap

I live in a “cheaper” town. When I bought in 2016, I couldn’t afford anything in surrounding towns.

My brother bought his house for $100k in Maine. It’s all relative.

• Like 1

cheap interest rates are pumping up the prices, house across form me was a crack house. Could not get last ownersout for 3 years of non payment then house got fliped and went for 513K and yard is so small.  Its outragegous the prices.  Its everywhere here to NewZealand.

They need to raise interest rates and cool this market off as inflation going to kick in hard.  Im hoping for a crash so I can buy cheap

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Charlie69 said:

Open the tail gate on your 521 and stuff the bed with parts.  Also fill the cab with parts.   Never travel with an empty bed or cab.

Where in the Midwest are you going to land?

If you come through Southwest Phoenix hit me up I probably have more 521 parts we can stuff if your trucks.

It's mostly full of spare parts, and the moving truck is packed to the gills with household, work tools, and hobby/Datsun related parts. It was having a hard time up some of the grades.  I pretty much left all my auto/shop tools for the next round. They would just go into storage at this point anyways.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, d.p said:

Assume your landlord is taking advantage of the same housing market like a lot of them are.  Where in the mid-west are you going? 

Joplin, MO. My wife's parents are there and her brothers are only a few hours away.

I think my landlord was mainly tired of my noisy kids 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
40 minutes ago, thisismatt said:

Joplin, MO. My wife's parents are there and her brothers are only a few hours away.

I think my landlord was mainly tired of my noisy kids 😅

I don't think it gets more mid-west than that.  

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, gene knight said:

Safe travels 

Wife & kids flew out, then I drove out with my brother-in-law with the moving truck. Actually heading back on Wednesday for my nephew's wedding and then driving again to bring our car back.  Now need to find a job 😭

• Like 3

My wife's aunt and uncle live in Greenfield, not far from Joplin. Cooky's Cafe in Golden City has some awesome chopped brisket.

Maybe you could start a business exporting all those heavy trucks which are now not legal to use in CA, out to the midwest. A ten year old F550 from CA ought to bring big money in middle America farm country, and you can get them for pennies on the dollar in CA.

• Like 2