Clutch/trans issue after motor swap

So, Started out with an L16 + dogleg + 200mm flywheel and std 510 clutch

Swapped in an L20 + 225mm flywheel and clutch and correct throwout bearing collar.

While the car was in the air with the motor running, i could put in the clutch and shift just fine, this makes me think that the clutch and everything is working properly

But upon putting the car back on the ground with the motor running and putting the clutch in, you can not shift into gear. it feels like the input shaft is still spinning with the clutch in, as the car will start to move. It will grind if you try to put it into reverse.

Swapped in a different clutch but the problem continued.

I'm running out of ideas.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the air the wheels are free to spin. If the clutch is not fully disengaged the synchros will act like a tiny clutch and spin them when you try to move the shifter.

Check for air in the hydraulic system but if none, then I would say the release collar is the wrong size.

Mike beat me to it! If the truck is in the air, the tanni will shift without clutch. Try to adjust your pedal, and re-bleed it. When I swapped different tranni's in my 620 I had to make a new push rod for the slave cylinder in order to take up all the slack left.

• 1 month later...

Well after trying out a different used clutch on the same flywheel and having the same issue; I had a different flywheel turned and picked up a new clutch. The new clutch worked. I had the correct throwout bearing collar already and the clutch slave was working fine, it was just something wrong with the clutch itself.

now on to other issues.