Izzos 86 4x4 KC

izzo

I go thru cars like women do tampons (quoted from jeremy lol)

Anyways, let the 521 go, just kinda small for what i want/need. Regret selling it but its to another member so its in good hands.

Heres some pictures. No major plans, just a daily driver for now (once i get it running) Bought it with a blown head gasket, first thing in order is remove all the excess stuff eg emissions junk, AC (not hooked up anyways). I am saving the AC stuff for later tho..

Removed the head, and it was blown between 1 and 2. Got the new gasket on there, wedge fell out and tensioner popped out :( Just ordered new tensioner/guides so i wont have to worry about it. I was in a hurry to get this done, but ill take a little more time so i can get some of these parts cleaned up before they got back on, and i make sure to do it right. Plus i can remove all the emissions bullshit on the intake. Heres some photos...

got more pics ill throw up later...

PART_1299482410351.jpg

IMG_20110304_152203.jpg

IMG_20110304_152153.jpg

IMG_20110304_152144.jpg

IMG_20110304_152132.jpg

IMG_20110304_144311.jpg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Heres the parts i ordered from rock auto, i called napa auto parts first to try and keep the money local, but they cant get the right chain guide anymore, so i just went with rockauto.

BECK/ARNLEY 0240938 (024-0938) Timing Chain Guide $ 6.84 $ 0.00 1 $ 6.84

BECK/ARNLEY 0240507 (024-0507) Timing Chain Tensioner $ 8.16 $ 0.00 1 $ 8.16

BECK/ARNLEY 0241009 (024-1009) Timing Chain Guide $ 8.52 $ 0.00 1 $ 8.52

FEL-PRO TCS45612 Timing Cover Gasket Set $ 5.97 $ 0.00 1 $ 5.97

Shipping was more then the parts itself. Bastards...

What Head Gasket Did You Get?

Because The FEL-PRO Head Gasket Is So Thin You Will Blow Right Through It.

Thin?...as in thickness?.... or meat between the cylinders?

Nothing wrong with Felpro...used many with 100% results

I've heard people say that, but others say its bs and works fine... I put a felpro on there, its not attached yet, just resting on the block.. The HG i pulled off was kind of thin, i dont know what brand it was but from seeing the material on there i would guess beck/arnley as ive bought those in the past. The odometer reads 223k so im sure it was just worn out. The FP gasket i got is just as thick as the other HG's ive bought from other brands.

Heres the parts i ordered from rock auto, i called napa auto parts first to try and keep the money local, but they cant get the right chain guide anymore, so i just went with rockauto.

BECK/ARNLEY 0240938 (024-0938) Timing Chain Guide $ 6.84 $ 0.00 1 $ 6.84

BECK/ARNLEY 0240507 (024-0507) Timing Chain Tensioner $ 8.16 $ 0.00 1 $ 8.16

BECK/ARNLEY 0241009 (024-1009) Timing Chain Guide $ 8.52 $ 0.00 1 $ 8.52

FEL-PRO TCS45612 Timing Cover Gasket Set $ 5.97 $ 0.00 1 $ 5.97

Shipping was more then the parts itself. Bastards...

How many miles on the motor?

You gonna check for chain slack?

Edit

Ahhhh...223K.......I would be tempted to change the TC as well, if it has not already been replaced

How many miles on the motor?

You gonna check for chain slack?

Ahhhh...223K....

Its all been replaced, probably the last HG replacement. Theres a bunch of orange RTV around the waterpump and timing cover gaskets. I checked the chain, it looked in good shape. Ill know more once i get the new parts. Pretty confident the chain is alright. If anything else, the timing cover gaskets are only 9 dollars at napa and will replace if needed.

Nothing wrong with Felpro...used many with 100% results

I Mean The Meet Between The Cylinders :D

The 'theory' is.....

The Felpro HG sits farther back from the cylinders relative to OE.

Thus they are 'out of the heat'...so to speak.

This scenario possibly contributes to the tighter fitting OE HG burning through.

With the proper "tightening torque", in 3 stages.... I'll go to the max at 65lb...no problems...yet.

...The FEL-PRO Head Gasket Is So Thin You Will Blow Right Through It.

Nothing wrong with Felpro/

I've heard people say that, but others say its bs and works fine... /

I think this problem is from after market 'jobber' gaskets being 'one size fits all. You could check and see if the Z20 85mm, Z22 87mm, and Z24 89mm gaskets are the same number. Maybe just the Z22 and Z24? Between an 85mm and 89mm is only 4mm or 2mm difference all the way round the cylinder. as long as it doesn't project into the cylinder it should stay cool. If you want the best go Nissan.... about $70.

BTW izzo, that looks like it been blown for a long time.Be sure to use a straight edge on the blown out spot. When they seesaw between cylinders like that they can erode metal away.

The Z24 has a history of blowing gaskets. Nissan recommends retorquing the head bolts at every tune up. Getting proper 'squish' of the gasket requires the bolt and block threads be absolutely clean. Get an old L head bolt and grind the threads off in a groove along the length, rub some bearing grease on it and thread into the block. Pull out and wipe off the crap that collects on it. Keep going until it comes out clean. I used this to clean out a thermostat bolt hole...

Coolingsystemtuneup005Large.jpg

As Doug said torque in sequence in three stages... do all to 20, begin again and do all to 40 and a final 60 ft lbs.

I did a quick look at the head, then scraped it with a razor, I didn't see anything that was ate thru/low spots etc. Previous owner said that he was driving it, it popped and ran like ass. So he had it towed home and it sat since.

Maybe just the Z22 and Z24? Between an 85mm and 89mm is only 4mm or 2mm difference all the way round the cylinder. as long as it doesn't project into the cylinder it should stay cool.

Ya.... that Felpro HG app. is just for the Z22 and Z24

Did It Overheat? :blink:

You Might Have To Get It Machined...

Herp derp lol. I know that :D I ran a straight edge on it and it looked fine. I am going to verify the gap where the HG was missing to be sure. Micro has a z22 head i could use if this one is crap

I think this problem is from after market 'jobber' gaskets being 'one size fits all. You could check and see if the Z20 85mm, Z22 87mm, and Z24 89mm gaskets are the same number. Maybe just the Z22 and Z24? Between an 85mm and 89mm is only 4mm or 2mm difference all the way round the cylinder. as long as it doesn't project into the cylinder it should stay cool. If you want the best go Nissan.... about $70.

BTW izzo, that looks like it been blown for a long time.Be sure to use a straight edge on the blown out spot. When they seesaw between cylinders like that they can erode metal away.

The Z24 has a history of blowing gaskets. Nissan recommends retorquing the head bolts at every tune up. Getting proper 'squish' of the gasket requires the bolt and block threads be absolutely clean. Get an old L head bolt and grind the threads off in a groove along the length, rub some bearing grease on it and thread into the block. Pull out and wipe off the crap that collects on it. Keep going until it comes out clean. I used this to clean out a thermostat bolt hole...

As Doug said torque in sequence in three stages... do all to 20, begin again and do all to 40 and a final 60 ft lbs.

Will do, thanks mike! I forgot the final torque value

Herp derp lol. I know that :D I ran a straight edge on it and it looked fine. I am going to verify the gap where the HG was missing to be sure. Micro has a z22 head i could use if this one is crap

Not sure I would put a Z22 head on the Z24.....different sized and shaped ports.

Not sure I would put a Z22 head on the Z24.....different sized and shaped ports.

On the intake side? If so its got one with it. Trying to find a weber or something to toss on there as well. Dont want to get to far ahead of myself here, still have to check this head and see if its ok. I can have it machined down still so was just thinking as a next option, hell i found a complete napsZ for 50 dollars minus carb and alt.

On the intake side? If so its got one with it. Trying to find a weber or something to toss on there as well. Dont want to get to far ahead of myself here, still have to check this head and see if its ok. I can have it machined down still so was just thinking as a next option, hell i found a complete napsZ for 50 dollars minus carb and alt.

Ya...Z22 intake is different (round)....exhaust is the same as the Z24

Z24 intake is rectangular

You can use a Z22 head on the Z24...just use the Z22 IM

I put a Z22 head on a Z24, with the Z24 IM...and...well...something wasn't right, wouldn't idle properly for some reason.

Was surging...Turbulence with the mismatched ports....?

Not knowing....but I switched to the proper IM for the head....good to go.