Strut bellows

CorAce

I just installed a new set of Tokico Illumina's in my ZX struts, and as I was taking it apart I noticed that the strut shafts on the cartridges coming out had a small amount of dust and grit on them. now wanting to get the most life out of my investment. I was wondering how susceptible the shaft seals are to this type of environment. Are bellows a must have or am I being over protective?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good question:

* Nissan didn't fit bellow and they last around 100,000 miles

* Offroad rally racers sometimes fit them.

Nissan did fit bellows.

Good offroad shocks get rebuilt fairly often.

I think they're a good idea and for not much money, cheap insurance:

http://www.partstrain.com/ShopByDepartment/Struts/NISSAN/280ZX

I've been thinking about this kind of stuff lately too. I was thinking Toyota-style: the bump stop incorporates a dust shield thing. A compromise, but something to think about. I went to the dump but it's too hard to take apart the strut with the car off the ground, so I gave up.

Yes, some struts have bellow, but most Datsun didn't

Not trying to be argumentative, but...210, 510, 280zx, 300zx, 710, 810, 200sx, 240/260/280z...they all did, and more I'm sure. I think the 1200 & B210 (others?) just had an upside down cup/boot that covered the strut rod, but along the same lines. I think you're just used to seeing 40 year old struts where they've disintegrated and fallen off, or been removed by previous owners because they were torn or not put back on when inserts were changed.
  • 9 months later...

Yes, my '81 B310 has rubber shields that are sandwiched on top of the coil spring. I can't really call them a bellows as they are smooth sided. But they serve the same function. One of them is disintegrating and I can't seem to buy them. I will likely adapt one from an old Sentra.

I found a new pair of old stock Koni adjustable inserts for my B310 struts. Nice!

Mike

Depending on the climate and where you drive (if its in sand or high salt/high humidity areas...) a bellows will trap sand, grime and moisture along shock/strut which will wear out the seal about as fast (and sometimes faster) than not running a bellows. All the aftermarket bellows Ive seen are just some worthless crap that are only good for aesthetics anyways, they never stay attached to the shock tube.

My opinion is that youre better off just running a bare strut/shock and keeping the undercarriage clean... At least you can see what is going on without having to take anything apart.