Tipping at the coffee/deli counter by the register?

4 members have voted

1. 1. When are you more likely to tip?

• if tip jar is low
    • if tip jar is full
    • I don't look to see how much is in the tip jar / I always or never tip

so a few of the places I frequent have tip jars by the register. and recently I've noticed that I'm prone to tip when the jar is empty or low. like I feel kinda sorry for the girl that works there. I know she's getting a low wage and has to deal with people all day long.

but then i started to think about some people who might see a full tip jars and subconsciously feel obligated to follow the trend and go along with the observed social tendency of that situation.

so basically I wonder if any one else has opinions on this. also, I made a poll for shits and grins. my research results will be entered in a recognized journal of sociology and economics and hopefully will lead to a policy change at the federal level. this is real important. =/

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At the pizza place I work at a few nights a week, we throw a few bucks in it, so it's never empty. If you put change in, people usually tip change. If you put dollars in, people typically tip dollars. I always tip anyhow(unless the service is exceptionally terrible), but if I see an empty jar, I usually figure that they're not getting tipped for a reason; if I see a full tip jar, I assume that their service/product is good, people know it, and not only frequent the establishment, but compensate the staff accordingly.

The phrase TIPS came from the days when they used to behead people for crimes. The family of the people would pay the Guillotine operator "To Insure Proper Service". If the guy did a bad job, the person would suffer badly.

So TIPS was to make sure they did a good job.

These days, I see tip jars everywhere. Dunkin Donuts, Subway, the icecream store, etc. I usually toss the change in that I get when paying my bill.

• Like 1