ratrod 620 idea

dave71

I was watching the history chnl. and een a few hot rods and ratrod.....So the dream began what if i go score a 620 non running project and chopped the front clip off put a V-8 in it and set it up w/a partial hood w/the open sides and take the bed off and put a wood stake bed on it like the trucks back in the 20's and 30's....was looking for a 620 model and a hot rod model the same scale and try it out before going full scale.....

Has anyone tried this or have any ideas or any reasons why it might not work?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was watching the history chnl. and een a few hot rods and ratrod.....So the dream began what if i go score a 620 non running project and chopped the front clip off put a V-8 in it and set it up w/a partial hood w/the open sides and take the bed off and put a wood stake bed on it like the trucks back in the 20's and 30's....was looking for a 620 model and a hot rod model the same scale and try it out before going full scale.....

Has anyone tried this or have any ideas or any reasons why it might not work?

Would you use a drop straight axle with radius arms and a buggy spring in front of the radiator or the stock suspension? I think it would be cooler with the straight axle, but less complicated with the stock suspension. Of course if using the stock suspension I would want to slide the cab back about 6" on the frame, so there goes the "less complicated" part.

Either way........DO IT

well wasn't thinking bout moving cab back...... but the straight axle like an old gasser wold cost a li'l bit and being a ratsun member the cheaper is better plus easier is better also :lol:

a 720 steering column might be a li'l longer than a 620 maybe not sure....but if it is would take care of the complication of pushing the cab back....

no bagging or widening......but if it works out i might make one into a t-bucket style

One of mine. Mostly free, junkyard, or modified stock parts from several manufacturers.

041.jpg

A little inspiration? I had thought about narrowing the stock bed so the tires would hang out, but I removed the rear cab wall and front bed wall. Now my head and shoulders are in the bed when I drive it.

If I was starting over.......

I would start with a KC

Take off the roof

Narrow the bed instead of the frame, let the tires hang out

Dropped straight axle

Move the cab back

Use a taper cut 240-280z hood to cover a triple carbed L series with a Zoomie header hangin out the side of the hood (gonna be a bitch adjusting those carbs)

AAAAAHHHHHHHHH SHIT!!!! I just realized I have alot of that stuff laying around. One more project, here I go.

lol...ain't that how it goes lmao....... well i'm looking at ditching the front clip completely and set it up like a roadster w/just a hood no fenders,the roof will stay on lol...the bed you want is easy to make unbolt the sides and keep the bed floor and get some gauge steel plte and weld or bolt it together

It is tough to pull off a fenderless modern (Post 30's) hotrod. The issue I find is the firewall is just too wide. The fenderless rods generally had a tapered body or certainly a sexy cowl.

Here is one I tried to pull off on a 521 (Photoshop). They can look ok from the side, but in a 3/4 or front shot they loose the flowjo.

If I ever get another '59 I will make a fenderless version, but the plan in my head is to graft on the cowl/firewall from from a pre-war car.

Ratsun521Zrat.jpg

• Like 1

:blink: wow the is freaking gorgeous so you just popped that together on the comp?? I get what your saying bout the firewall but wouldn't a hood and open sides like '32 ford has to detract from the block style firewall..... I'm still GEEKING OUT over that pic......but that is so close to what i want to do........

:blink: wow the is freaking gorgeous so you just popped that together on the comp?? I get what your saying bout the firewall but wouldn't a hood and open sides like '32 ford has to detract from the block style firewall..... I'm still GEEKING OUT over that pic......but that is so close to what i want to do........

Thanks! I am a pro illustrator so I have a little practice! :D

I think it would take a lot of work to get the lines to flow right. But I am certainly up for seeing someone try it. :) I think your best bet would be the Datsun 320 though (Or a 1959 Datsun!). But I think the cab would have to be moved back on the frame.

The other thing you will notice about the 30's stuff is that doors had sheetmetal in front of them before the hood starts. And the doors are flush with that cowl. On the Datsun your door ends at the fender body seam. So if you take off the fender you will have a weird gap/step at the front of the door and it won't blend.

The other thing is that if you take a hood and taper it from the width of your firewall to the narrowness of the 30's front grill, it will be a huge wedge.

If you look at the photo below you can see how important that the depth of the tapering cowl/firewall is to the flow of the car. Maybe if you could use just the back scant inches of the fender (before the wheel opening) and pinch and retaper it so it started to angle in from the door?

The reason it kinda works in my photochop is because you are seeing the car totally from the side. From the front or 3/4 would be a different story.

1004rc_01_o+1933_ford_pickup+grille.jpg

Datsun1000Samurat.jpg

i've been thinking bout that step since i saw that pic u posted last night...i was thinking cutting a beat up fender a li'l longer than that step taper it towards the edge of the firewall and weld it...that should help w/the flow as far as that part goes.....found a 520 a 521 but no 620 to rat out yet......

this one isnt too bad, it still has fenders but too much motor sticking out

u sir have joined a very prestigious club of ppl that have decided to let others know that they think that truck is cool despite the complete hatred by everyone else on this site. and im not trying to talk shit cause i said it was cool awhile ago lol

What you are saying about the fender is what I was trying to suggest in the post above. It would take alot of hammering to get it to flow, but would be the best shot I'd think.

If you will notice, the model T had a bit of a step in at the cowl, and it still works even though it isn't smooth all the way down. But also notice how the cowl tapers from top to bottom too. And that taper is echoed in the cab itself. Pinches at bottom front corner of the doors. So even though there is a step the taper is echoed in both pieces.

If you could pinch the bottom of the 620 cab somehow, then graft of a T or A cowl, you might get something?

Lornes_T_Mania__1.jpg

The best example I have seen so far is the Toyota hotrod that has gotten so much press. Notice they kept a 2 headlight grill up front, and the the doors blend well. Now their job was made easier because the FJ45 had external, not flush, fenders so the hood already tapered.

12sema600.jpg

1960+land+cruiser+fj45+truck+truck+about+com.jpg

Examples where I applaud teh effort, but am not sure about the results...

This will give you a preview of how partial 620 fenders would look.

rat-rod-vw-06.jpg

Cool from side I'd bet, but questionable from other angles.

rat_rod_s10.sized.jpg

118200662726PM21421.jpg

0926091052.jpg

0926091053.jpg?

On a 521 it would be pretty much impossible unless you modified the doors or the fenders to make the doors stick out less... or something

100_0692.jpg

here's my buddys body dropped 620 without all the front end sheet metal. Its a little more possible with the 620

troys620fenderless.jpg

You forgot this,

113_0603_01_z+1968_toyota_corona_unorthadox_hot_rod+front.jpg

Indeed! Another one that isn't quite working for me. I think it is very well executed. Nothing about it is half assed. But it looks like an incomplete vehicle. Like he is just testing it before he puts the fenders back on.

But maybe this is the way folks felt years ago when first looking at fenderless hotrods. Maybe they looked like they were missing something too. Is it only after years of us seeing them fenderless that we accept it as a finished look? IDK.

Still not feeling the flojo. But it is a bad ass car!

Fenderless is illegal in Texas. There's a law about how much tires can stick out past the fender wall. However I did consider at one point tapering the front end with sheet metal and running trailer fenders up front. Not going to, but my track width is going way up because of the suspension swap so I was weighing possible solutions to the tire sticking out problem.

Lots of states have fender laws. which is why traditional hot rod guys run little motorcycle fenders some times!In my state, MA, any car post 1949 has to have fenders.

IDK guys, here is another version where it just isn't working! I fear a 620 would wind up like this. (And cycle fenders too!)

16.JPG

That one reminds me of those front clip swapped atrocities in a thread a while back. The front end is way too long, the color is terrible, and if you do this sort of mod, you have to mod the whole truck not just the front clip.