dual master cylinder on 521

sdsurf

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You would want the '78 or '79 as it is made for front disc brake use and has the larger 13/16" m/c. Pedal effort might be a bit high so keep the booster as well. The 620 also had a load sensing device to help limit rear wheel lock up under no load conditions. It's located on the inside of the pass frame under the pass seat. Technically illegal, an in line adjustable brake pressure valve could be used to limit rear pressure for light loads and turned up for heavy.

• 1 month later...

O.k., before we continue with a redundant thread, check out the "disc brakes on a kingpin truck" thread on NWDE. Mike Klotz did a 2-3 page section about making a dual res m/c work on a 521.

For disc brakes, the 280zx '85+ works best from what I've been told.

I'm running the '85 720 m/c and booster (15/16" bore) so I couldn't tell you for sure.

There was no 280ZX after 1983. The one that fits is 79-81. Early 81 as far as I can tell. The later one will work, but the mounting bolts are a horizontal arrangement instead of vertical like the stock 521 M/C.

well I have done it. 620 booster, 280z car mc.

not an easy task.

First I moved the clutch master over and up. No biggie.. drill 3 holes, hog out the center till the mc fits and bolt it up. Now how do I attach it to the pedal? I made a 2 piece bracket and welded it to the pedal arm. drilled a hole in it and hooked it up. Pedal travel is decreased. Takes alot of positioning and clamping to get it rite.

Next. Mounting the booster. Made a templet of the mounting surface. Not enough room to mount it in line with the brake pedal. And with some measuring and drilling it still won't bolt up. Hits the fender well. No worries.. Where's my 2lb hammer? AHHH Now it fits. So the pedal connection is off just enough to put a long bolt thru the oe holes. add a spacer in the booster rod and works great.

Now for the lines.

well once I got it all figured out. I have very efective but Very touchy brakes. "Hello Windshield!" Trying to find a stiffer spring should fix it.

I could prolly post a couple pics tomorrow.

peace

tc