72 goon rearend gears?

NWOleman

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

I also have 72 wagon, and I just finished a ka swap, now its one legged monster. What kind of axle is this thing? is the 3rd member the same as the coupes? Or trucks? This thing needs posi like I need a new tire....bad.

What are my 3rd member options? Or an I better off trying to find new gears and a locker/spool?

I would also like to take it down to around 3.23, at least 3.73. I'm running 195/60/14s and in 1st and 2nd gear anytime I mash it there's a smoke screen (really fun actually) but I'd rather have it launch, lol.

Any recommended companies that sell lockers for the h-190s? Maybe it would be easier to do an axle swap from an explorer and narrow the axle? I'm already running chevy u-joints in my custom drive shaft. Maybe its time to put something bigger that has more readily available parts. I've got a narrowed 9" in the garage intended for my rambler, but I think it would be overkill for a ratsun goon.

Now the 3rd member from the 190, is it different from the 3rd members in the trucks? is it just a spline difference?

I figured since I got a reply from the official datsun diff expert, I'd squeeze you for as much info as possible

Thanks mike

Wagon H190s and Truck H190s used different splines, but the side gears can be swapped.

The Nissan part number for the Detroit Locker was M-99996-T3011 for 4.625/4.875 rear gear diffs. But that's a 29-spline axle, and I don't think the side gears swap on that. Nor do I think it's even available (though it's listed with a ~$600 price tag). I don't think there's any H190 option in the 3.xxx range for a locker or LSD for that matter.

I tried finding a locker for this thing. Seems impossible. Do you know any companies that offer a spool or locker for the axle? Maybe I should try looking it up for the truck, and use truck axles? Or maybe I should do a ford 8.8 swap. They're super cheap and I've built a ton of them for off roading. Light and lots of aftermarket parts available. I think the money would be spent having custom axles made with a4 bolt 114.3 pattern.

Anybody done an axle swap in a wagon?

What about an irs setup? Send pretty involved, but I couldn't tel you. Thee chassis are completely different from the sedans and coupes aren't they? No bolt ins?

Thanks for all the help.

I'm no expert but I changed a diff once.:P The Maxima goon and the '82-'83 S110 used the same spline as the 510. I can't remember the ratios off hand.

You know what year maximas?

whos Z car is that in the background?

my wagon was a auto its a 3.89 I know cause I've had the diff in and out about 4 times now! Lol. LSD stuff for the H-190 is pricey and a big pain in the ass if mine blows up I'm putting a toyota 8inch axle under it.

I tried finding a locker for this thing. Seems impossible. Do you know any companies that offer a spool or locker for the axle? Maybe I should try looking it up for the truck, and use truck axles? Or maybe I should do a ford 8.8 swap. They're super cheap and I've built a ton of them for off roading. Light and lots of aftermarket parts available. I think the money would be spent having custom axles made with a4 bolt 114.3 pattern.

Anybody done an axle swap in a wagon?

What about an irs setup? Send pretty involved, but I couldn't tel you. Thee chassis are completely different from the sedans and coupes aren't they? No bolt ins?

If you want LSD then a custom axle is for you. If you have built them before this is the way to go.

There is a project here on ratsun for an IRS swap. A lot of work for questionable advantages but a coolness factor all the way to 11.

You know what year maximas?

'78 through '83 used the same side gear spline as the 510 goon. '80 and on used 3.545 with standards and 3.364 with autos. Earier 810s used 3.70 for both.

Adapter plate? Or is there a rotor/hubs that fits 280 or 510 spindles???

anybody know??

or were you just encouraging, lulz

zx hubs don't fit the narrower 510 spindle. Usually people swap the zx strut complete into their 510. The zx strut is also shorter by about 2" so it lowers them as well adding larger calipers and vented rotors.

I knew the struts fit. I just knew they were different, and maybe a truck Hub fits either one? I plan on doing the 280z swap in a couple weeks, waiting for my weld on sleeves to s how up, and do it all at once

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the 4-speeds were 3.90s and the automatics were 3.70s. Can anyone confirm or deny?

North America info shows 3.889 for the wagon H-190 and 3.90 for the IRS sedan man or auto. I mean how close to 3.90 is that.

Outside N Am 3.70, 3.889, 3.90 and 4.375 were used.

• 1 month later...

I put 3:70s out of a 77 or 78 810 wagon into my 72 510 goon, it was a direct swap. Ive got an LZ22 with a ported u67 and portmatched early manifold and a 32/36 and a dogleg 5 speed. It would get squirrely in the rain with the stock 3:90s and a small/stock open A87 and it was easy to break them loose. The main problem is that it gets too much traction now and If I launch hard it gets some pretty nasty axle wrap... Tire wise Im running 195 60r14 michelin pilots... nothing fancy. If youve got a KA and sticky tires, youre going to want some sort of ladder bars/pinion snubber or a well designed link setup to fight the axle wrap.

Any 810 wagon and I think any rear wheel drive maxima wagon should have the rear diff you want. I know the 810s for sure, but double check if you find a maxima. An easy check in the yards is to pop the hood and see if its got an L series or a vg30... vgs are FWD and L28s are RWD.

If you find an 810 the consoles look sweet in a 510 and they have a floor mount E-brake too...

If I had the money or skills for it and my goon, an 8.8 swap really sounds like the way to go, awesome gear ratio selection and numerous LSDs lockers and spools, and its all just a click away... no hunting for hard to find parts.