so... I want to drift my truck

Gearheadcurt

I've been wanting to get into drifting for a while now, but couldnt find the right car,

I would like to have a s13 but... well... everyone else has one

then it came to me, my 620!

my question to ya'll is, what options do I have as far as this truck goes?

is the chad copeland suspension conversion the only option?

has anyone ever drifted their truck?

I already know that I'm going to need a different motor,

I'm mainly concerned with the suspension deal

and yes Chad's truck has inspired me to look into this,

and yes his truck also inspired me to buy mine in the first place

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DatsuNoob

I used to drift my truck all the time. Certain vehicles do it better than others but whatever, go for it if that's what you wanna do. Of course you dont have to build a Chad Copeland truck (even though it's a very nice truck). More than one way to skin a cat. Start out by doing your homework on how 4 link susp works, trailing arm lengths and angularity and how they affect your handling. Soak up as much knowledge on 4 link as possible, there's alot to know and tons out there to read! Then you can weigh 4 link/solid axle against the IRS set-up and decide. Although I'm stoked on Chad's build and have nothing bad to say about any of it, personally I would choose a 4 link and solid axle cause it's a truck and I think trucks should have something in the bed once in a while but would still like to rip up some corners when shes empty.

You have the right idea: low, stiff, minimized body roll, and a limited slip rear.... all should come before going for big engine power.

If you don't have the funds to do a full on 4 link properly right now, you can start yourself on the right path by setting up a stiff leaf setup..

dont' use drop blocks!

http://infamousnissan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8093

rear sway bar is crucial:

http://infamousnissan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4108

limited slip rear from a pathfinder:

http://infamousnissan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13140

I also am running Nitro2 Drop Shocks all around, upgraded spring rate torsion bars, and poly bushings, as well as redrilled leaf hangers.

I have power upgrades also, but that is less important than the suspension.

Get started! it's not that hard and doesn't have to be expensive!

Then, you can go practice,practice,practice... and don't go so fast you smash your stuff!

http://infamousnissan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11651&page=2

my question to ya'll is, what options do I have as far as this truck goes?

is the chad copeland suspension conversion the only option?

I thought we covered this before. Chads project, while a stunning execution of an IRS suspension, isn't needed where you want to maximise oversteer. You can do this with an LSD and suspension tweaks on what you have. Welding the diff isn't advised for use on the street.

and my L20 is not an engine that I would even consider to drift

Why not? It will make enough power to get the wheels spinning and it has the high rpms (7000 rpm redline) you'd need to keep them spinning. Plus it's already in the truck and they are plenty reliable.

just keep in mind- there are hardly any ready-made parts out there for doing what you want to do.

you're going to be doing a lot of research, measuring, cutting, welding, ect... to get it done properly.

there is no 'parts list' but if you take each component one at a time, and ask the right questions, you'll be on the right path.

to answer your question about the front suspension:

you have a torsion bar front suspension, which is easy to raise and lower, but is not really stiff enough for race/drift driving.

you can upgrade to coilovers, but this will require an experienced welder to extend and reinforce your spring perches, as well as trim and reinforce your upper control arms.

you can also mitigate body roll by upgrading the front sway bar (no existing parts that I know of, but you may be able to modify one from another truck)

and adding a rear sway bar (which are made for your application)

as far as welding your differential: if you are going to drive the truck on the street EVER, DO NOT WELD YOUR DIFF. if the welds fail, locking up the rear tires while you are traveling at speed, you will probably kill yourself and others. If you weld it, STAY OFF THE ROAD.

There are quite a few LSD options for nissans, and they will give you better results overall.

to answer your question about the front suspension:

you have a torsion bar front suspension, which is easy to raise and lower, but is not really stiff enough for race/drift driving.

you can upgrade to coilovers, but this will require an experienced welder to extend and reinforce your spring perches, as well as trim and reinforce your upper control arms.

you can also mitigate body roll by upgrading the front sway bar (no existing parts that I know of, but you may be able to modify one from another truck)

and adding a rear sway bar (which are made for your application)

hey didnt you mention you had upgraded spring rate torsion bars on your truck? how stiff are they?

...as far as welding your differential: if you are going to drive the truck on the street EVER, DO NOT WELD YOUR DIFF. if the welds fail, locking up the rear tires while you are traveling at speed, you will probably kill yourself and others. If you weld it, STAY OFF THE ROAD.

There are quite a few LSD options for nissans, and they will give you better results overall.

I totally agree. If you're too broke or lazy to do something the right way, don't do it at all.

" Ain't no half steppin' "

hey didnt you mention you had upgraded spring rate torsion bars on your truck? how stiff are they?

yeah, on my frontier, i upgraded to some 4x4 30% stiffer torsions by Sway-a-way i think? sourced as a nismo part...

they are a little stiffer, but could be more so...

i don't know if there are any avail for the older datto trucks.

as far as welding your differential: if you are going to drive the truck on the street EVER, DO NOT WELD YOUR DIFF. if the welds fail, locking up the rear tires while you are traveling at speed, you will probably kill yourself and others. If you weld it, STAY OFF THE ROAD.

Wow, I know quite a few people with welded diffs, none of which have failed. I also have had a stock open diff break and lock up on me at speed. No one died....I will say you should know what you are doing when/if you weld it up, or have someone that knows what they are doing do it for you.

There are also no more LSD's manufactured for the H190 diff, I have been trying to source one for a couple years now.

How far can I get by just stiffening the truck up? I have a place for sway bars,

How tough is the rear end in the truck?

I also know people in both drag and drift cultures that have welded diffs never heard of any of them failing

but to easy any fears I this will be a drift only truck

well she is an auto at the moment

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

a L20 manual cam/siddrafts with a welded will work

al least in the neiborhood.

ask yourself can you change a headgasket on a L motor. If not then all above thread will never happen

Even Redeye had to get the master Savior Jeff Hino to get his truck going.(Lucky for us he is local)