so... I want to drift my truck

Gearheadcurt

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2eDeYe' date='25 January 2011 - 08:23 AM' timestamp='1295972589' post='416637']

Wow, I know quite a few people with welded diffs, none of which have failed. I also have had a stock open diff break and lock up on me at speed. No one died....I will say you should know what you are doing when/if you weld it up, or have someone that knows what they are doing do it for you.

There are also no more LSD's manufactured for the H190 diff, I have been trying to source one for a couple years now.

I'll do a slight retract on that one- while I do know quite a few guys who run welded diffs (on the track), and havent died yet.. :)

I have also seen some downright SCARY weld jobs done by either an inexperienced welder, or someone who just didn't care. Either way- your and everyone elses safety relies on you making sure your vehicle is safe.

http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69845

well I have found swaybars, and a place to store this project,

I believe fellas this project is under way

also what power plant would be the best bet? because I dont want to swap out the trans for a manual just to sway out the engine and trans later on for more power

p.s I have a few years of track days, autoX's, and driving schools under my belt,

Either way- your and everyone elses safety relies on you making sure your vehicle is safe.

Well said.

does anyone have the pedals and cab parts needed for this swap? anyone?

I might, but shipping would be a bitch.

I'll do a slight retract on that one- while I do know quite a few guys who run welded diffs (on the track), and havent died yet.. :)

I have also seen some downright SCARY weld jobs done by either an inexperienced welder, or someone who just didn't care. Either way- your and everyone elses safety relies on you making sure your vehicle is safe.

http://www.e30tech.c...ead.php?t=69845

Not just the shitty welds, but the whole reason for having an open or proper LSD is to allow rear tires to turn at different speeds. A welded diff will cause variable understeer going into a corner (traction dependant) then oversteer as one or both tires break loose. Somewhat predictable on level dry pavement, not so easy to read on hilly turns, wet, mud or variable combinations. Welded diffs also wear out the tires faster, duh!, and the force has to go some where so axle splines tend to break.