73 Datsun Forsale

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering it has a later model grill, no vent on the side of the cab, the core support is for the later model years (although it is orange and not white like the rest of the engine bay) and whatever else 'Holic could point out...

It sure looks like a 78 to me.

Does it have disc brakes in the front?

Does the VIN on the truck match the one on the title?

We are only trying to help ;)

Also the Dash has the later model EGR thingy on top (Yes I know calling that a Thingy is not correct in Datsuneese)..But, ya know what i mean guys..(looks more like a 78 than a 73)....but ya never know hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Long list:

No cab vents ('72-75 had vents, '76-on did not)

L20B core support ('75-on)

Retractable seatbelts ('76-on)

Seatbelt warning light pod ('78-79 only, prior also had an EGR light)

'78-79 type grill (that doesn't mean anything though)

Terminal lug connector for remote ignition module attached to radiator ('78 only)

Fuel return lines ('75-on)

Large(er) brake booster with disc brake master cyl ('78-79)

Illuminated light switch ('75+)

Doors don't have the rail-type panel retainers (72-75 had them, 76-on did not)

Somebody swapped titles to avoid emissions or worse. Maybe the VIN plates too, but the Frame VIN will tell the tale.

Well thank you every one for your help. I dont know alot about thease truck except they are a kind of colector for some people. So do you think it would be more worth my while parting it and dumping what I can't sell? I just need it gone. I would hate to see a good motor and trans go to waist!

Again thanks!

Well .....I need this truck GONE! Will take anything! If its not gone by Feb 8th the hole thing is getting trashed! Let me know if you want anything off it. Name your price! Located in Salem, Oregon. Great running motor and trans with newer clutch. Motor does not smoke! Just needs a carb/carb rebuld.

So do you think it would be more worth my while parting it and dumping what I can't sell? I just need it gone.

They were not saying that your truck is worthless, just that it is not an original 1973 truck. It may be pieced together from several trucks but the body as a whole is likely 1978. Maybe someone had a 73 and 78 and built them together but just put the VIN numbers from the 1973 on it and sold it like that. Could also be stolen parts...

but for an old truck like that, it happens and can still be fixed up. electronic ignition and (if it has it) disc brakes are a good thing. The bed is not so good. :o rather than part it out, if you need it gone just take pics of the body from all sides and put it on Craigslist. Post up a super cheap price.

The fact that it has an L18 doesn't help- they aren't really looked for. I mean, I paid $95 for my '74 with an L20B and 5-speed already swapped in. The body was about the same. The swapped VINs worry more than anything else though, unless it's just a typo (the VIN on the title would tell the tale, as a '73 and '78 have different 1st letters)

• 2 weeks later...

So I went and got this this afternoon, title does indeed say that it is a 78. Don't know yet if it has an L18, haven't got that far. Took three tires to get it towable, here's a picture of my bodged together out of scrap pikey towbar just after arriving home.

pikeytowbar.jpg

Wiring is hacked up and it seems that some small woodland creature had expired in it some time back, but the glass is good, has a slider in back and four matching chrome spoke rims. Possibly the best bonus though was the coveted factory tach.

Tach.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.