Engine smoking....

sick620

I have an L20B that smokes... It came in a parts truck.... It ran good and made me 20miles but when you give it gas you get lots of BLUE smoke.... like you give it a rev and it shoots blue smoke out the exhaust like 10 feet... What do you think is the cause....

is it most likely valve seats? or rings?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

just re-ring it...

if you dont care and are gonna go on the cheap, just buy a re-ring kit with rod bearings and mains and a gasket kit.

take it apart. clean it real good with degreaser and then hot water and soap. dry it out.. then get a hone and put some crosshatch in the cylinders for the rings. and then just put it back together..

done it many times, and all those engines are still driving around this valley..

if you have another head that didnt smoke, put that one on there to keep from havin to take it in to be rebuilt...

doo eet.

while im in there should i just do new gaskets and bearings too?

Why Not Just Rebuild It? :mellow:

Buy a re-ring kit and and upper gasket set from Rock auto.

Might spend MAYBE $200 at the most and have all the main parts.

Top end kit for my 210 included everything from the valve seals to the head gasket and was a $12 Beck/Arnley closeout. Clevite re-ring kit was $112 and included main seal, bearings, rings, etc.

Although until you pull the crank and check to see if it's all within spec, you don't really know if it's going to need oversized rod bearings.

Back in the day* (a Thursday I think) a buddy and I did a valve job on his lightly smoking '62 Chebby Biscayne (google it. :rolleyes:). It ran better, and smoked twice as bad, as the now sealing valves did a good job of pulling oil past the worn-out rings.

He swapped it for a pretty nice VW Bug. Which we blew the motor up on 6 months later, but that is another story!

I've done a number of on-the-cheap ring/bearing/top end jobs. Yeah, maybe they aren't good for 100K miles, but they'll certainly do 25K. OTOH, if you do the top, and it still smokes (or smokes worse) you are out some time and a head gasket.

Ken

aka OldeFarte

I do too lol... I'll get her again, I should post a new thread!!!!!!!!

Then every time i get her and a new video... i can share it with everyone :D :D

I tried doing that... insert media?? It wouldn't work though lol

- just hit the share button

- copy and paste the URL for a youtube vid into your post

- it embeds itself

- ??????

- profit.

youtube.jpg