521 LSD SWAP HELP

SRSANDS

Hey guys, I took the rear end out of my 521 and replaced it with 3.8 gears. I really love the change it made but with a fresh Z22 I really really want to source a LSD unit for it. Datzenmike or anyone can you chime in and tell me what donor vehicle I can get one out of to fit? Even if I have to buy the whole axle and diff setup and grind and weld brackets on it to fit? Whats a vehicle that has comparable width rear? If I can obtain this info I will get to it :)

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The '88-'93 D21 Hardbody with a 4 cylinder (Z24i or KA24E) came with an OPTIONAL H-190 and 3.90, 3.70 or 3.545 ratios. I say again this was an option. Look for these year Hardbodies and check for 4 cylinder. There is nothing on any engine tag that specifies LSD so look for a stamp sized orange sticker on the back (bum) of the differential that says LSD or USE LSD OIL ONLY on it. Take a rag along to wipe the dirt off.

Pathfinder--D-21conversion034Large.jpg

Pathfinder--D-21conversion039Large.jpg

If you think you have one test by turning one wheel while someone holds the other. If you force the other to turn in the same direction you probably do and it's worth removing to see.

I doubt yards know of them so in the unlikely event you find one wrap in your shirt to hide the fact and pay for an open 720 diff.

If the dealer should have the LSD unit.... it's $1417

Oh yeah the H-233 is slightly bigger than a Fodr 9" and is massive. You would have to get the whole axle assy from a D21 (leaf spring) and it's almost 60" wide.

Datzenmike, are you saying Nissan did make a LSD for the h190?? One that fits the truck axle spline count??

I though nissan never made them.

Yes, I'm saying that. It was an optional clutch LSD, so rare to find. If the dealer had one the LSD parts (you supply the housing, bearings, crown and pinion) is about $1,400.

The first truck LSD was in the '88 D-21 (and the same year WD21 Pathfinder if you call them a truck) and came in three axles the H-190, the C-200 and the H-233.It's believed this is and industry first beating even Toyota to the punch.

I remember seeing them in the NISMO catalog from about 1990. I don't remember exactly, it was an old catalog a buddy of mine had lying around back in the early mid 90s. The unit wasn't something you'd find from the factory. Last time I saw a H190 LSD on eBay (about 8 years ago) they wanted 2 grand for it.

There also was an aftermarket locker for the H190, but I haven't seen any of those in well over 10 years either. I saw them on the web back in '97 or '98. Long since discontinued.

Yeah it must be ultra, super rare.........

My friend who worked at Southside Nissan, a large Vancouver dealer, once said to me something similar to what datzenmike said, but he thinks it was a factory installed special order, but cant remember ever PDI-ing a truck with one in a H190. I looked for evidence of one for over a decade and have found no trace. When I inquired in the US I was told the LSD was available from motorsports only. It may have been available in Canada only. I know Nissan made them for the H190, just haven't found one yet, that would fit a truck.

datzenmike.. do you have some part numbers for the truck optional assy. I would be interested in running the numbers by my JDM connection to find out the scoop.

SRSANDS.... check out this aftermarket one for the H190, its probably the only one we'll find; http://www.precision.../powerbrute.htm