620 help....?

greengo

So I have a 78 620 and im wanting to run an eletric fan... But need it on cheap side.. I went junkyard shopping but cant find something that will fit.....so has anyone mod a fan to work and take the thremo fan off and put a l16 water pump on?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used a fan outta a mercedes from the junk yard. Just find anything with a low profile fan and find something with a v8 and 2 fans and just mob one of em.

Look and make sure it only has 2 wires coming from it.... Ground and power.

I put mine in between the grill and radiator. {push style}

Its simple just make some little brackets and bolt it up. I have a toyota camry radiator but it'll work the same with a stock one.

I run my fan through a toggle which is connected to ignition power on fuse box so if the truck is off the fan is off. I will be doing mine with a relay soon but this is the easy n CHEAP way to do it.

SDC10074.JPG

SDC10076.JPG

SDC10078.JPG

SDC10077.JPG

Lookin' to do this with my truck soon, the thing runs wayy too hot. Sick620, does the Camry radiator work any better then the stock Datsun one?

At speeds over 20-30 enough air is pushed through the rad from the motion of the vehicle and no fan is needed, mechanical or electric. If you are running 'too hot' there is another cause. This needs to be fixed first or you will be disappointed.

Running hot causes:

Hot in town stop and go..... fan belt loose, glazed and slipping. Clutch unit has leaked out the silicone clutch fluid and now excessively slips.

Hot anytime: thermostat is stuck and does not open fully or blocked or wrong heat range. Rad shroud is missing. Lower return hose collapses from pump suction at higher revs. Rad outside is blocked with leaves, dirt, plastic bag. Rad inside is blocked by scaly deposits. Water level low. Head gasket may be blown. Fuel mixture lean or timing retarded.

Pullers work MUCH better than pushers.

Any electric fan will require charging systems up-dates.

Right now with a 180 stat in my truck,i have half the factory three-core blocked off with cardboard just to get it up to temp (30 degrees ambient air temp.

Like Mike said,if it's over heating-there is another problem.

My 810 auto/AC car runs 195-200 in 115 degrees with a factory 3-core radiator.

At speeds over 20-30 enough air is pushed through the rad from the motion of the vehicle and no fan is needed, mechanical or electric. If you are running 'too hot' there is another cause. This needs to be fixed first or you will be disappointed.

Running hot causes:

Hot in town stop and go..... fan belt loose, glazed and slipping. Clutch unit has leaked out the silicone clutch fluid and now excessively slips.

Hot anytime: thermostat is stuck and does not open fully or blocked or wrong heat range. Rad shroud is missing. Lower return hose collapses from pump suction at higher revs. Rad outside is blocked with leaves, dirt, plastic bag. Rad inside is blocked by scaly deposits. Water level low. Head gasket may be blown. Fuel mixture lean or timing retarded.

I'm starting to think it's my thermostat. Once I my truck running again I'll do some more investigating.