Couple quick questions

7204wd

Hey, just picked up at 1984 Nissan 720KC 4x4 5spd, its way underpowered, but thats not what I'm worried about at this point maybe engine swap is on the way. My question today is about lifts, general parts and part interchange. So first of all i've done a couple searches and came up dry, what and where do you guys get lifts for these trucks as well as general parts, i've checked a few sites and they list 86.5+ models little to nothing for the older models, I'm also looking for a full stock or maybe poly urethane bushing kit as my front end is in poor shape. So, are the 86.5+ d21 4x4 parts usable for these older 720s? If so can someone point me in the right direction of a parts interchange catalog or something? Thanks in advance!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can get a couple inches out of the rear by using the 620 leaf springs. Your 720 uses a spring over with flat springs and the 620 uses a spring under with an arched spring. The differance in spring hight is about 2". Turn up your torsion bars to match and you have a cheap 2" lift for your truck. If your looking for 4-6" lift, not sure where to go. Maybe check out companies that once made a kit and see if they are still available.

Welcome to Ratsun.

Now lets see some pics of your truck!!!

The earlier L20B and Z22 powered 4X4s came with 4.375 ratios in their diffs. The later Z24 powered ones came with a 4.11 and were .... quite slow in the pick up department. If you can find an older one, get and swap the two diffs and the rear drive shaft and trans case yokes.

The 4X4 rear spring packs are thicker, flatter and more numerous than the 620 or 720 2wd. so swapping them will cause bottoming out on the trail. Maybe just change the top leaf or two to get the arch and/or longer U bolts and a spacer between the spring and the axle perch. The torsion bars can be turned up but this will throw the alignment out and carried to an extreme, cannot be adjusted out and causes mad camber issues with resultant tire wear and handling problems.

I would get a 4" body lift kit if you are just looking for higher ride height and tire clearance. Everything stays the same except the body sits 4" higher on the frame.

Wow thanks for the quick replies guys, I figured bodylift would be better but getting a better look at it today it needs more then a ton of work, I picked it up for cheap but its very rusty and has major problems, maybe better used as a parts truck. Another question though, if the 4x4 hubs are locked in but the transfer case is in 2wd, the whole front diff is still spinning correct? Cause I've got one very bad axle (no boots left, rust coming out of both joints) and its just painstakingly slow and shudders very bad on acceleration and at anything over 65-70 kmph not mph, could this bad axle cause these problems? Its also got a few major things like both lower control arm bushings are so shot they pulled out of the frame. I knew I got this truck for cheap but didn't realize why!

Hubs locked but in 2wd... the axles, diff and front drive shaft will be spinning. If the boot it torn off the CV joint is toast. If the CV has imploded the drive shaft is likely off center and wobbling. Unlock them! LCA bushings out of frame??? Yeah if not the front CV or drive shaft definitely the missing bushings will cause this. Don't drive it.!!!!

Ya.......maybe a good parts truck.

GOT ANY PICTURES!?!?!?!

Before you call it parts... keep in mind the truck is old and chances are another 720 will need or will soon need frontend work too.. rebuilding a 720 front end is dirt cheap... balljoints, bushings and steering assemblies dont cost a fraction of what most trucks cost. While you are there add a set of 2" balljoint spacers... this will allow you about 3" of alignable front end lift when you adjust up the t-bars.... as for the rear buy a 2" add leaf kit.... remove the long divingboard springs and keep your overload... this works far better than what the manufacturer suggests. Dont use any urethane bushings on the front of a 4x4 720... they have enough binding issues as it is stock. If you want additional lift go with the popular 3" bodylift.. 2" and 3" bodylifts are the only sizes available for the 720. A/C (4x4parts.com) has lots of 720 goodies

here is my 84

31.jpg

Ya.......maybe a good parts truck.

GOT ANY PICTURES!?!?!?!

No, no pics yet, I dont think this truck warrants any pictures, I would feel bad scraping it or using it for parts as they seem very hard to come by where I am, this is the only 720 4x4 i've seen in my city and around. I've got some parts coming, and a body lift and i'll look into the ball joint spacers and the rear add-a-leafs. Thanks, is it worth it just to replace everything in the front end, I would end up doing front and rear shocks (probably longer length depending on what I do for lift), upper and lower control arm bushings, upper and lower ball joints, inner and outer tie rods, idler and pitman arm, and possibly a steering stab cylinder if I decide to run larger tires. Anyone know where to source these parts for cheap? I dont feel like spending 5 times the cost of the truck on parts just to get a decent driver. Thanks!!!

Before you call it parts... keep in mind the truck is old and chances are another 720 will need or will soon need frontend work too.. rebuilding a 720 front end is dirt cheap... balljoints, bushings and steering assemblies dont cost a fraction of what most trucks cost. While you are there add a set of 2" balljoint spacers... this will allow you about 3" of alignable front end lift when you adjust up the t-bars.... as for the rear buy a 2" add leaf kit.... remove the long divingboard springs and keep your overload... this works far better than what the manufacturer suggests. Dont use any urethane bushings on the front of a 4x4 720... they have enough binding issues as it is stock. If you want additional lift go with the popular 3" bodylift.. 2" and 3" bodylifts are the only sizes available for the 720. A/C (4x4parts.com) has lots of 720 goodies

here is my 84

31.jpg

Wow that thing is nice, I'd love to get mine to that high and it looks solid body wise, what tire size are you running? and thanks for the site, i've looked there and will probably end up picking up there front and rear kit + body lift. Where do you go for steering and suspension parts? They seem to just list urethane bushings and no steering parts.

ANother resident of Vagina, Sask! Are you Raydeeyo's buddy? lolz. Welcome!

Hahaha yea the shitty old vagina town, and Radio's buddy, no I wish maybe I should meet him, i've read some of his posts and seen some of his rides, and wow they're nice. But no i'm very new to the datsun/nissan scene i've only owned 1 other nissan and it was a 240sx.

Couple of quick questions....?

WTF......that's it????

Most likely have more....as we all do. :D

And yes......Welcome......fellow Canucklehead :)

There are a few others loitering about.

Lol, Of course I already have more, those were a couple quick questions from yesterday! Now I have a large pile of questions including, is this pos worth my time and money.. Haha, actually I really love the looks of the 620/720s and dont follow the norm of doing a toyota build!

4x4parts.com has the longer shocks and steering stabilizer you will need if you use a suspension lift.....

My truck in the pic has 31" inch tires on 8" wheels and a 3" suspension kit modified to gain 4".. no bodylift.

3" bodylift and 33s will be done in two weeks.

All my current steering parts and bushings were purchased through Nissan.

Figured it out, here we go!

Left side, Rusty:

img0090gp.th.jpg

Front:

img0088dy.th.jpg

Wheel before:

img0085q.th.jpg

Wheel after some quick paint:

img0086r.th.jpg

What I want it to look like except black:

img0082lc.th.jpg

Sorry about crappy iphone pics, cam is broken and gf wont let me use hers, she says i'll break it. Haha

you sand that wheel down really good before painting? Otherwise itll flake off real fast :D

Yep, hit it with the steel buffing wheel and some rust eliminator crap then primed and painted. I want to put some nice wheels on it but this is going to be a cheap as cheap can be project so looks like stockers for now, I've got a set of decent 235/75s to mount on those though, not a 31" but its the best I can do now for cheap.

Alright so, i'm looing into picking up a 1995 Pathfinder 5spd for dirt cheap, its got some body damage but is still driveable and in decent shape. Is it worth it, can I use any parts off of it, suspension, drivetrain ect. With ease?

No. The '95 only came with a VG motor so the motor and tranny are a set. I suppose the VG/5speed could be swapped in but only if 2wd. Don't forget it's EFI. The differential is radically different. The front spindles/hubs/disc brakes are similar to the Hardbody.