Farm and Impliment Acrylic Enamel...

Spades

Alright, so this summer I plan to have the bodywork finished and the car ready to paint. After a ton of research, and keeping in mind that my wagon has been a budget build, I finally decided on what I am going to use to paint the car.

I decided that since the paint on the inside of the doors is still in good condition, that I will keep the car a shade of red close to the original paint color.

I am going to use an epoxy type primer that sticks well to anything(metal,plastic,bondo,fiberglass,and all paint types). Going with this type of primer made the most sense(since I can buy a gallon of the primer, hardener, and reducer for about $50) because of low cost and adhesion, the other benefit is that urethane, lacquer, and acrylic all bond well to this type of primer, so if I ever go to change the color or spend the money on a urethane base/clear, I can just sand down to the primer.

I am going to use a acrylic enamel in International Red that is normally made for tractors and farm equipment, and then an acrylic clearcoat over the top. The benefit to me is that the paint is extremely durable and low cost. My dad has years of experience at shooting acrylic, and I have used it before on bumpers and other small projects. If you use a clearcoat over the top, just like with a urethane base and clearcoat, you can sand out any nicks and scratches...so the normal complaint others have with acrylic(people complaint that you can't sand scratches out of acrylic cause the paint doesn't polish up), does not apply.

So, I will be able to get the primer, paint, and supplies needed for under $200.00, and since I already have an old paint booth and a couple of guns, I should be able to get a paint job that should look decent at least for a pretty reasonable price. I plan to buy the paint and supplies this spring after the bodywork is done on my wagon.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh, I wish I could have it ready to shoot right now, but I have quite the too-do list, including my cash is going to a new front windshield and new rubber for the quarter panel and rear hatch windows. I am posting it now to see if anyone else has opinions on acrylic, I personally think its the best way to go for me since I have experience with it and its cheap.

I think this might be what you're talking about.... I've got a buddy that introduced me to it a couple of years ago. He absolutely loves it. Says it spays on nice, stays nice and glossy. He did recommend the hardener, otherwise it can take a good two weeks for it to get hard enough to work around. Anyway....

photo-15.jpg

photo-16.jpg

Since I have been using acrylic primer when I have patched up an area, and not knowing what type of paint they used from the factory, I will be spraying a couple coats of epoxy primer over it before the Acrylic Enamel.

And yes, similar to the stuff Mk posted, I will most likely be using Rustoleum or Sherwin Williams or Valspar...maybe Napa's premium line, forget the name of it...who ever can give me the best price quote on it when I have the bodywork done.

Tomorrow I hope to have some major updates on my build thread, and I might even be able to have all of the engine work done over new years weekend. Once I have heat and take care of the timing cover leak on my shiny new 2.5l bored out naps motor, I can get to work on fixing the bodywork. The plan for January is to buy the glass and window seals I need.

So, I have a little more work before I can paint the car, however tomorrow I will get Oics of my dads car trailer he just finished building and painting with the before mentioned paint and primer.

EDIT: By the way, the underside of my hood was shot in acrylic enamel with an acrylic flat clearcoat. I hand brushed the designs on(they are far from perfect) and then shot the clearcoat over top. Keep in mind the hood was dirty in this picture.

IMG_5217.jpg