78 620 5sp....for my 521 need advice...

jrock4224

I also run NGK, no problems. Hey there Datzenmike, so far I have never seen a shortshaft transmission in anything except late 84ish and on regular cab short box 720 pickups, I have not seen/looked for an 83 in this configuration yet with a tranny in it. They may have shortshafts in them, but I always seem to lean towards the 85s and 86s, I will have to look at the consoles in the 83s to see if they are missing that small change tray in front of the shifter hole, I have not been to the wrecking yards in quite a while now, as I have been using my built up stock of parts from the last couple of years, ever since I built that parts shed, I have been using parts I didn't even know I had. :lol: As for the 4 speed case, when I compared the 4 spd. case to the 5 spd. case, they were the same, it was a 4 spd. 4X4 transmission if that makes any differance. That reverse switch was in the same place, so we'll see if it works when I connect it up, I have stalled on that project at the moment, as I am trying to keep everything else going and finish that 53 MGTD. Jrock4224, them transmissions are out there, it just depends on how much you want to spend, at the u-pull-it type wrecking yards around here I am able to buy the tranny after I have pulled it for about $170. out the door. I can get them from the light truck wrecking yards for about/around $300. or more, but I don't have to pull them myself. There seems to always be one of them transmissions around because they are not used in the majority of 720 pickups, most 720s have longshafts or are kingcabs, I have personally never seen a kingcab with a shortshaft, except in 4X4s, and they don't have the speedo drive unless someone has put a shortshaft 2WD tranny in one because it was all they could find. wayno

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it may be like you said as this transmission had red RTV all over it and had to have been out for repairs. Maybe it was swapped? Who knows. Too bad it's a 4X4 with no speedo pinion in the tailstock.

Here's the truck... obviously pre '85

720stuff052Large.jpg

sale-dcm6v-2251764884@craigslist.org

This is potential i am asking for pics and a overall measurement. be ready i am gonna need you guys to verify its the right one... i will post pics on here after i get provided withthem or at least a over all measuremnet.

I have a photo of my 4 speed case and am unable to get photobucket to work properly to post it on this thread, I can login, but there are no photos there, it is just white screen, and when the mouse curser/pointer moves over where a photo is supposed to be, it displays the options I have, but there is no photo in the display, there has to be a better way than this crap, I logged on at least 5 times or more into photobucket, deleted my cookies on ratsun as well as in my tools, and I still have no photos after I login. My 4 speed case doesn't look like the one in your photo datzenmike.

I finally was able to get photobucket to work, this is the 4 speed case I used to make my shortshaft 5 speed, it doesn't have the raised spot that is in the photo you posted. wayno

DSCN0369.jpg

It was in a 1980 datsun 4X4 kingcab pickup, that doesn't mean that is what it came out of originally, the engine is a L20b, but it has an U67 square exhaust port head, has a weber carb, and it had the 4 spd behind that. The console was the correct size and color for the interior also. It was a $300.00 running and drivable datsun truck that looked like crap, but good enough for one of my projects.

Trouble with old Datsuns, is that the number of swapped parts on it, is equal to the square of the number of decades it's been on the road. :rolleyes:

The one '80 4x4 I stripped had a '75-'77 L20B U-67 motor in it and a 240mm flywheel on it. wtf???I kept the 5 speed and Polski Ogorki has it now.

Ok now I need a electric dizzy damn truck loses spark after about 5 minutes of running funny thing is if I take number one plug and pull the wire take a plug and test spark against the block it will take a second and spark will start again it will fire up but that is the only way other than let it sit for 20 minutes. The truck has been just sitting and I imagine it's either the coil or dist .

If it has a cover on it then it's from a 4x4 but you can use in a 2wd. If it isn't machined out, well it's no go. Check both sides. I have a short 4x4 tranny and it is on the driver's side but not machined. Just went out an checked it.

Here's a pic of a short tail with the L bell on it. See the speedo drive ??? On the driver's side!

trannyFS5W71Bshort0ne.jpg

Now that I look more carefully I can see it just forward of the mount.

photo.jpg

So im confused ..is the trans that broke 26 1/4 ? or just one in truck now.?

And earlier in this thread you mentioned wanting a electronic dizzy..This truck that is parked behind fence on the entrance to Black Hills high school has one NOT a match box ,, if you go during week days and talk with farmer in big building he might sell it ( ignition )and box to you.But if you want to take whole truck free he really wants it gone,, NO TITLE

Always on the hunt for straight panels, this time a front valance, we took a drive to check on this abandoned 620 by a local school.

034.jpg

The stock 4 sp is 26 and a weenie. And mike and wayno are helping me build a 5 sp that's close to same link . Mainly cause I wanna use the factory seat that's worm out so I can fit my giant ass in it. The tranny I am attempting to have is a 84-86 tail section mated to a l series bell. Which it looks like I am in business will pick up this tranny tomorrow hopefully and start pulling apart my 620 5 sp to source the bell housing mod it and take some pics of what the result will be.

nice clean z car you might have seen me in my 521 here it is if you ever see me blow your horn and wave i wil;l try not to side swipe you

eBAY625-09003-1.jpg

thats my green 521 and my friends 510 he also has a 521 white with green steelies and chromie caps...the blue chevy is mine too but you never will see it it resides under cover in garage...