Good Motor To use in a 82 720

AD>>

I'm SUPER new to foreign motors. Besides doing a head gasket repair and oil change on my cousins honda, thats about It. I am mechanically inclined, and i'm starting to catch on. Trying to trade a 64 galaxie for a 78 620 , neat body style and I'm liking what i see with the L20B. And sure I'd like to Hot Rod it, buut i want the high mpg's for daily use. Although I'd really like more info on what was done with this one here >>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHUAdUFoSdM&feature=related

Now I've been lurking around for a bit and theres some serious hotrodding that can be done to just about anything. I'm not looking to build another gas guzzler, I got enough of that with my 70 el camino. I recently found a 82 720 with no motor, and its pretty descent (both Body And Price) , What would you experience builders recommend? Can a L20B be put into an 82? am i looking to build a FrankenMotor? I'm looking for something that I can get Higher mpg's out of and also catch a cheap thrill from, (and i HAVE seen the SR20DET swaps, but I'd like to see what else is out there) 20-30 mpg's is a good middle ground i'm guessing. Carburated would be cool, I have no EFI or turbo knowledge :(, BUT WILLING TO LEARN! Thanks'

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

An L20B will fit but you will need a transmission or modify the one in it. The L20B is a bit 'light' for pulling a 720 around.

If it has the 5 or 4 speed still in it a KA24E will fit up to it. (it is EFI though but so is the SR20) or the stock Z22 or the larger stump puller Z24.

I am rocking a Z22 bored out 30 over, forged guts, I got it set up to be as bullet proof as possible. I want 300K miles out of it and I plan on working the shit out of it. It is made to haul loads, not haul ass, although it will scoot if needed. My next step is a supercharger, transfer case and LSD rear end. The main thing you you must do if figure exactly what you plan on doing with it. Turbo will not work for me cause I plan on towing with it so that is why the super charger is on the menu, the transfer case is to give me a lower bulldog gear for heavy loads. so take your time and there are plenty of us to help you!