Rear axle bearings are EXPENSIVE!

Two pair of 620 axle shafts (one to go on the truck now and one for my disc rear build up)---Just had fresh bearings and seals installed. I pulled them off and had them stripped down to the shafts with bare backing plates. Called Carquest to see if they were done and what the damage to my wallet would be........$320.68! I almost swallowed my own tongue! 4 bearings and 4 outer seals pressed on. Damn.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well with pressing, that may be decent? i had some bearings pressed into a sentra front end once. was around 80 dollars for one side for removal & install.

You could fab yourself a cheap press for around or under 100 dollars with some scrap metal and an old bottle jack

Yeah. I figured I could get a press for a bill and a puller for another bill, but after I got that price I checked for bearings online and found they're 40 to 65 a pop. Just seems they'd be cheaper since they're pretty much toast if the inner seal fails.

I work at NAPA, most of you know that. I just checked online, the BRG bearings (our good line, SKF bearings) are around $36/ bearing and race. BR30208 is the part number. That's just regular price. The cheaper bearing line is $15 each. I don't see how any machine shop could charge you that much to press on some bearings, or charge you that much for bearings.

Any Les Schwab should be able to do the exact same thing and probably only charge you 40-60 bucks labor to press on the bearings, plus the parts cost. It sounds like you got a royal screwing, or they read you the wrong bill.

Les Schwab mark up is HUGE!!!!!!!!!!

Bearings are cheap.

I was going to replace my bearing also on my 521 but oil from the diff lubes if the inner seal is worn. To get to the inner seal the bearing must be removed. I only wanted to stop the oil on/in the drum

I said fuck it and replaced the outer seal and had no leaks and I called it good

What I meant was to get the bearings yourself and then just have Schwabs or other machine shop press them on.

To the OP, anytime you buy bearings THROUGH someone (a shop) you'll be paying list price because they're going to warranty those bearings for the foreseeable future, and because they have a lot of overhead, guys to pay, insurance, etc. That's why you pay much more for the same part.

Most machine shops don't care if you bring a bearing to them to be pressed on, they just won't warranty the bearing if it fails. But how many times have you seen a bearing fail under use? Usually it's a lack of oil or extreme abuse. Other than that they last a long time.

But if you bought the bearings at Carquest and had them pressed on at a machine shop they're affiliated with, it should be very expensive.