5speed tranny for a L20

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hey Rustina Iv got a bunch of extra L20B parts if your interested. Iv got a clutch set, flywheel, along with 2 short blocks to scavenge parts from

got a 5 speed or two laying around too

Hey skib do you have a dogleg in working condition I can get for less than 100$

I have a long tail one you can have for 80, gotta shorten the drive shaft tho

That's where I've been looking lately, I have a appointment to go to the yard owned by z therapy in Salem Friday for my floor pans I'm buying, and I'm also going to look for a tranny from the years mr Dislexicdime provided.

It turns out that it was a good thing the dogleg tranny fell through because it's a little week compared to the other Datsun 5 speeds, I'm still learning but I'm hoping I'm learning fast so I don't start to annoy all the cool people that have been so helpful to my build so far.

I realize that I will more than likely have to pay more than 100$ but the tranny that skib offered pops out of third and fifth gear he said, I would rather look for a tran in better condition, so the hunt continues.

Let me know if any of you super cool Oregon or southern Washington ratsuners hear of anything that will work for me and once again thx for reading and helping me.

Eric. Rustina510 build

OK, I looked at your user name and decided that it is a 510 that you need the tranny for, most if not all early 510s came with a 4 speed, so I beleave you need a shortshaft 5 speed, that limits your choices. The easy one would be the 200SX shortshaft. It's a car tranny, but your going to put it in a car. wayno

I have been told that the dogleg is a little week. We have already determined what I'm looking for

I dont think its fair, for the dogleg to be called weak. It is weaker, than some other transmissions. but still fine for a daily driver/some trashing

What is the trans going in? it works fine in the 510s, and the trucks. i had one in my 510 and truck, plus i hauled a LOT of stuff in my truck, over half ton and its doing fine.

I have a dogleg 5 speed i maybe interested in getting rid of, i live in seaside you come and get it lol... $100

Heavier cars? What are you putting it in, an Impala?

They were stock on '77-79 200SXs and '78-79 510s with L20Bs, and handled that fine. Both outweighed the original 510. Just don't ram 130HP through them, and don't speed shift. Heck, I have one in my '74 pickup and I haul loads with that. I just don't beat the hell out of the transmission.

Of course, the doglegs generally cost more than the N/A Z 5-speeds, due to the relative ease in installing them in 510s and the fact that they are a lot rarer. Except junkyards, where they cost the same, IF you can find one.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.