Anyone have HP numbers on their L series?

onedayjake

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd guess low 130's at the wheels.... which is probably about your flywheel number.

Thanks Defdes! That would be great! The previous owner is sending me a scrapbook documenting the build. I am looking forward to seeing it. Most of it is over my head though!

I am really a noob when it comes to engine builds, but I thought there was usually a bigger difference between flywheel/crank #'s and #s at the wheels? You think they could be close?

Thanks Defdes! That would be great! The previous owner is sending me a scrapbook documenting the build. I am looking forward to seeing it. Most of it is over my head though!

I am really a noob when it comes to engine builds, but I thought there was usually a bigger difference between flywheel/crank #'s and #s at the wheels? You think they could be close?

There are SO many variables, a general tenant is wheel hp x 1.2ish for crank hp.

BTW, I am moving right up 91 from you, just North of Brattleboro VT so when I am all in Spring/Summer we'll have to get the guys from N.H. and Northern VT together for a drive. I'd love to come down and see your '59 and The Score From Maine (don't think I didn't have my eye on that one...).

Edited by defdes

There are SO many variables, a general tenant is Crank hp x 1.2ish for wheel hp, at 115 that would put you at 138. Your mileage may vary.

BTW, I am moving right up 91 from you, just North of Brattleboro VT so when I am all in Spring/Summer we'll have to get the guys from N.H. and Northern VT together for a drive. I'd love to come down and see your '59 and The Score From Maine (don't think I didn't have my eye on that one...).

Awesome man! So glad to have another new England Ratsun brother around!

There are SO many variables, a general tenant is Crank hp x 1.2ish for wheel hp, at 115 that would put you at 138. Your mileage may vary.

Isn't rwhp less than crankshaft hp???? A motor making a true 100hp will only read 83 at the rear wheels. Generally there are about 17% frictional drive train losses on a RWD vehicle. Dyno shops like to quote higher drive train losses because this translates to higher crankshaft hp numbers which always pleases their clients.

I don't know much about HP but am curious what you guys think the LZ22 in my 510 might put down? Here are the specs. Like 115-120 at the crank?

Sure.

How much difference would the bigger 46mm Z-Therapy carbs make?

Hard to say. It depends if the head and cam can use more or not.

Pistons: Z22S Truck, NAPA replacement (cast) machined to flattops, polished, balanced

Need more info on this. If these are stock dished pistons then milling down the outer edge to make them a 'flattop' in name only. Not only will this increase the dish volume and drop the compression but in order to gain any benefits from a peanut head the flattop piston must rise to the top of the cylinder and come within the head gasket thickness of the head surface.

A Z22 fitted with a peanut head will have a compression of 10.48 so some loss of compression is probably desired to run on pump gas.

Isn't rwhp less than crankshaft hp???? A motor making a true 100hp will only read 83 at the rear wheels. Generally there are about 17% frictional drive train losses on a RWD vehicle. Dyno shops like to quote higher drive train losses because this translates to higher crankshaft hp numbers which always pleases their clients.

You are correct, dyslexia is my name middle.

I got the formula backwards, but I would still guess around 130 at the wheels.

Not to jack the thread but i have a NAPZ20 complete engine and was thinking about building a engine with that block plus an A87 penut chamber head as the base, anyone have info on what would need to be done? also what would something like that run hp wise?